Considering moving to southern CA

teej89

Dec 9, 2015
Hey guys! Currently I'm looking to move to Southern California, id be searching for a job as a project manager with a general contractor. Currently I live in OH, grew up in central PA. Been hunting the last 15 years of my life, since I've been 12. All my life I've done mostly tree stand hunting, some still hunting from time to time. I'm assuming the hunting out there is mostly spot and stalk? My dad and I both drew bull elk tags this fall and man do I love spot and stalk hunting out west! It beats sitting in a tree stand for 12 hours a day by yourself.

We are looking around the Los Angeles area but outside of it due to my hunting and I can't live in a city, but I don't mind commuting to work. I also have a chocolate lab that I run in hunt tests so being close to fields or ponds is also kinda of essential. And when I say close, within an hour drive is okay with me.

Anywho guess I'm just wondering how the hunting is out there, deer, turkey, pig, waterfowl, dove? And what towns outside of LA should I look into. I love small towns. Also have I heard that there's some good trout fishing? I grew up fly fishing trout in PA, something I've missed badly since I moved to Ohio.

Sorry this is so generic, just getting my feet wet investigating hunting in Southern California.

Here's my elk from this year

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449801397.873159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449801397.873159.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 56
As a country boy my self that has been stuck in so cal (los angles) my whole life my advise (RUN). It sucks here. I live in north LA county on the out skirts In a small town and it still sucks. Prado basin in chino area south east of la is a big dog training testing area. It also some what rural sort of. San Diego is probably the best mix on town hunting and what not but not a reasonable commute to LA. If you can stand a 2 hrs commute in traffic Palmdale and Lancaster is ok but very hot in summer 110-120 but close to some decent hunting in the southern sierras.

My advice is to look southward rather than westward. I have family in the Charlotte, NC area and they have an incredibly rich quality of life. Homes on 2+ acres which would be $1.5M here are $360K there. Lots of hunting land. Rivers. Wildlife all over. Space to roam.
I'm not complaining...I'm sure they say the same things about the grass being greener where I live, but I wouldn't move to CA again (except that I'm glad I did it back 18 years ago when I did).

Consider the Central Valley area or even San Louis Obispo.

Dang well that's depressing to hear lol anywhere in CA other than around LA to live? It doesn't necessarily have to be near LA, we could do San Diego but I'd have to be somewhat close to a city with construction and what not.

teej89 said:
Dang well that's depressing to hear lol anywhere in CA other than around LA to live? It doesn't necessarily have to be near LA, we could do San Diego but I'd have to be somewhat close to a city with construction and what not.

So cal blows, if I didn't have a good job here I'd be gone...... It sucks here

stikbrandon said:
teej89 said:

So cal blows, if I didn't have a good job here I'd be gone...... It sucks here
I had a great job out there and I still got the hell out.

Don't do it buddy. Cost of living is ridiculous. You can try to wait for a time in the market when the housing prices are low, but it once every 10 years.

My wife and I had very good jobs there. Once we found out the second child was on the way we got out. Can't be happier.

Palmdale and Lancaster are shitholes. If you are dead set on CA, Murrieta and Temecula areas are very nice and affordable. But they aren't Midwest cheap.

I would strongly look elsewhere. Young families are flocking out of that state, not in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

San Luis obisbo is absolutely beautiful and some good hunting some even on public land if you can find it. I get Up that way for work a few times a month I've spent some time hunting and scouting. But not a whole lot of work. It's pretty small and some what isolated from big city's.

I do totally agree Palmdale and Lancaster are total holes. I was just suggesting something better then In the LA basin.

But like most people I'm out as soon as I can. I'm waiting on my 16 year old to turn 18 then I'm out.

Born and raised in Long Beach......Now live in San Diego Co......I traveled a lot as a former baseball player and have hunted most the western states......With that said, I still love California & San Diego in particular.....Lots of public places to hunt and fish for those that try.....There is some traveling, but I've found that in just about everywhere I've been (and still make a living).

Welcome to SCH and good luck in your search.

ps......My cousin just moved to Montana (Cascade).....He's finding out quickly that it's still pay to play there (lots of private & hunting leases).

Probably the closest you're going to come to your goals in SoCal is Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula. That list goes from cheapest to most expensive.

SleightofHand said:
Probably the closest you're going to come to your goals in SoCal is Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula. That list goes from cheapest to most expensive.

And that's still talking mid 300,000's for a home with a small yard. Nice and new, but you're paying for it for sure. I bought in Menifee / Lake Elsinore right when the market was at its lowest in a brand new community and we love it but it's definitely not small town living. Local hunting is tough no matter where you are in So Cal / Central Cal. Lots of land... but a lot of it is private and getting permission is tough. San Diego county tends to have more huntable land compared to Riverside County (Menifee, Murrieta, Temecula) but you also have a high concentration of other hunters. San Louis Obispo is a very nice choice because it's very laid back and it's extremely beautiful. Think their motto is "live life slow in SLO" something like that. If you're willing to travel a few hours to hunt, "South Central Coastal" California might be a good home base for you. You'll love the weather in California and the ability to drive to the beach and the mountains in the same day is very nice.

what kind of construction?

I lived in Laguna Bch for 12 years then moved to San Diego and love it down here. It has a small town feel with lots of diversity and a strong military influence. East county has some good hunting and the IV farmlands are always good for upland & ducks or you could hit Mexico for some of the best upland, ducks & geese around. Our BG is week down here but there's some good areas for bears, deer & pigs up north. AZ, NV, UT, CO & NM is where you'll want to hunt BG. You'll want to start saltwater fishing bays, inshore & offshore. The inlets around here are great for fly fishing.

LA wears on you as you can tell by the responses from others. It is the place to make some good money but it's expensive to live there and if your not use to traffic it makes some people go crazy at times.

I live in SoCal. If I didn't have family here and a great career, I'd be gone....way too liberal! Hunting is decent but not without putting in the time. California itself has more libtards than anywhere else it seems but at the same time, has some of the most beautiful country. My two cents....look elsewhere. There are several other western states more hunter friendly, with less people, lower taxes, less legislation and with ample public land hunting opportunities.

I just moved here 2 years ago from New York. In comparison, it's relatively cheap and there's less people but it's still pretty crowded for my taste and the cost of living is surprisingly high. If you like ocean fishing, surfing or anything ocean related it's some of the best in the country but if you are more focused on hunting on land it's much tougher than other places. I personally like the challenge, it can be pretty frustrating but also extremely rewarding when successful. You really have to work for it here, it ain't easy.

Also coming from the liberal mecca of the world (NYC) where owning any gun is a an automatic 3 years, it feels pretty free here ;D

Damn well that's depressing hearing all that lol I have a buddy that lives in OH that grew up in Sam Diego county and he said he loved it. If it wasn't for the liberals he'd move back. Im still considering San Diego county but going to keep researching.

Thanks for the responses guys!

its horrible here..

we have so so deer hunting i seem to get one more often than not but that is me. We have great upland hunting with in driving distance. We get a LONG LONG LONG duck season 90 days and that is 30 more than some places. Great predator hunting local and with in driving range. We have rad fishing just offshore. We have epic weather, yeah i know its been cool in the morning. we have a hell of a lot more jobs than most places do. For construction jobs as a PM i can not think of a better market than here. 27 is young for a pm job however so be ready to start as a assistant before they hand you a PM job. moving away sounds great and sometimes the grass is greener but most times its not.

Aeon said:
its horrible here..

we have so so deer hunting i seem to get one more often than not but that is me. We have great upland hunting with in driving distance. We get a LONG LONG LONG duck season 90 days and that is 30 more than some places. Great predator hunting local and with in driving range. We have rad fishing just offshore. We have epic weather, yeah i know its been cool in the morning. we have a hell of a lot more jobs than most places do. For construction jobs as a PM i can not think of a better market than here. 27 is young for a pm job however so be ready to start as a assistant before they hand you a PM job. moving away sounds great and sometimes the grass is greener but most times its not.

Am I correct in assumed the first statement is sarcasm? Lol and yeah I'm actually looking at a project engineer position. Coming from a structural engineering background I think that'll get me my foot in the door to construction.

As far as the saltwater fishing, do I necessarily need a boat to get into good fishing? Like how bout kayaking? And much fly fishing?

teej89 said:
Aeon said:
its horrible here..

Am I correct in assumed the first statement is sarcasm? Lol and yeah I'm actually looking at a project engineer position. Coming from a structural engineering background I think that'll get me my foot in the door to construction.

As far as the saltwater fishing, do I necessarily need a boat to get into good fishing? Like how bout kayaking? And much fly fishing?

Kayak fishing here is pretty epic. I've caught nice yellowtail just off shore and have friends that have caught tuna off their yaks. Going offshore is fairly easy since you can get into deep water pretty quick. I bought a small skiff this year and take it out 20-30 miles looking for big palegics with a lot of success, depends on your comfort level.

I've heard fly fishing north is good but I don't have any experience with that.

I don't fly fish but I know there can be decent bonefish opportunities here in SD bay. Otherwise your next best bet on the fly might be trout in the creeks and ponds up the 395 in the Sierras, about a 5-6 hour drive from SD.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu