Coot Confessions

Sigalert2012

May 20, 2013
Since knowone is posting anything I wanted to finally confess.... I shot two last year... anyone else want to confess? Lol I had some flying begging for #3 on sunday...but I could not do it..trying to spice things up on the forum.

A few years back a buddy and I were hunting Barrett and we were bored as heck.. no action at all, not even the ol' Barrett ruddies were flying. Then some coots start passing by and my buddy dares me to take one down. Somehow I managed to drop 2 on 1 shot as they were landing in our spread.. so we called it the infamous "coot shoot" day. Kept us entertained the rest of the slow morning! (We dropped some ruddies too just to get some action.) I didn't want to waste it so I took 'em home to eat.. and oh man. They stunk so bad while cooking my wife asked if a skunk sprayed in the yard. "Nope, just the coots honey." Haha. They ended up tasting like liver marinated in mud and fish essence. Pretty nasty, but still gives us a good laugh.

Reactions: Sigalert2012
I hammer the coots when it's slow. No point in having your dog go nuts all morning long to sit all day when theres is 1,xxx,xxx of them damevthings in wister

Last coot shoot I had was at Sycamore Ranch Golf Club.......Greens keepers hate them.......;)

.View attachment 29203
Dang Steve. I remember those Lujack pond posts. The bloody sink pics were the best.

I think some courses are approved to use poison on the coots. I assume through some depredation permit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Be careful with what you do with them.....They're still considered game.....And wanton waste could & would apply.

I was raised in a family where you ate what you killed.....I shot coots as a kid with my pellet gun.....My grandpa would make marinara sauce with polenta.....Coots went into the sauce.....Tasted like any other duck to me.

During first light fly off near Wister my son and I were seeing duck like flying objects and dropped them. When I went out to pick up our "ducks" we had 4 coots down and since my rule is you eat what you shoot we had coot poppers the next evening. They were fine since we marinated them is teriyaki overnight. Still occasionally shoot coots on slow days.

During first light fly off near Wister my son and I were seeing duck like flying objects and dropped them. When I went out to pick up our "ducks" we had 4 coots down and since my rule is you eat what you shoot we had coot poppers the next evening. They were fine since we marinated them is teriyaki overnight. Still occasionally shoot coots on slow days.
I have tasted them. They eat just fine.

Be careful on those morning flyoffs..."duck like flying objects" doesn't cut it when Scaup are closed at the beginning of the season. If the pintail limit drops to 1 next year, you could be in trouble if you were to drop 4 of them at first light.

Lots of seasoned fowlers will wait until after first light due to their eyesight not being what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu