Coot Weekend at San J!

Would you attend Coot Weekend, if it existed?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Who would be in favor of Coot Weekend? After the youth hunt and military hunt are done, leave coot season open for one more week. Hunt both Saturday and Sunday at San J. No limit on shells, free roam and no limit on number of hunters either. Picture it like the dove opener but in a wetland, orange vests and hats are a good idea. I bet we'd have sore feet and full coolers on Sunday night after chasing those boogers all over San J for two days. Neither the ressie draw or the sweatline draw has been kind this year, this would be the perfect event to close out the season for us guys that mostly hunt San J. We'd need to be back out the next weekend to pick up all the empty hulls though.

Can I put the airboat in and chase them down? I mean as long we are changing rules

Reactions: jth and duck-boy
Not sure if it’s legal

Attachments

• 6ECE14DA-4B22-410A-9D1D-74C3187467F8.png
    6ECE14DA-4B22-410A-9D1D-74C3187467F8.png
    529.1 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: ilovesprig
Just have a dumpster there ,so you don't see them tossed on Ramona hwy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: benCa
The poll results so far are concerning. Even if one wouldn’t want to be in the middle of the madness, you’d think they would want to spectate from the parking lots at the least.

Reactions: TRICER
I may be wrong but aren't coots pretty much regulated by the feds like ducks are? The states set seasons and limits for ducks and geese but they have to do it within the federal framework. Is it the same for coots? Just asking because I don't really know. If they are then to get an extended coot season it would be up to the feds to allow the states to set one.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I may be wrong but aren't coots pretty much regulated by the feds like ducks are? The states set seasons and limits for ducks and geese but they have to do it within the federal framework. Is it the same for coots? Just asking because I don't really know. If they are then to get an extended coot season it would be up to the feds to allow the states to set one.

Eric,

You're right....In fact, coots are one of the strongest migraters, flying up to 10,000'...Hence, one day you see none...The next there's 100's.

Reactions: Loosenutswelding

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu