Couple of quick questions/advice

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
G'Mornin all! So, haven't been duck hunting in 12 years or so. Went a few different times with my buddy, who has since passed away. He had all the knowledge and the dogs. So, I got a dog from his last litter that was born just 4 days after he passed away, and I'd like to get her into duck hunting, as well as my 14 yo who has yet to do it. Now, when I would go with my friend, it was sometime to Barrett with a blind, and a couple times it was out in the valley jump shooting the canals or setting up in the tulies on some little ponds. I figured I would like to just take the boy and the dog out towards the valley/river and try some of those places. But, it was 12 years ago, and I don't remember much about the area. I just know it was around the Imperial damn, give or take.

So, I'm obviously not asking for specific spots, just some in general guidance so I am not stepping on toes on public land, or wandering into private land. I know there is a reservation somewhere south of the dam I need to avoid also. I want to keep a bit away from people, because my dog is extremely high strung, and this will be her first time out, don't want her to ruin anything for someone else. It'll be a learning experience for all of us. I also thought about somewhere south of the Salton sea, but that's usually where I hunt doves, not sure what the land situation is there. Don't want to wander onto a restricted refuge area.

Anyway, here are a few basic questions, aside from the recommendations along the river.

1. It's 7 ducks, and there are limits listed for Mallard hens, Redhead, Pintail, Canvasback, etc. If it's not listed, like Goldeneye, Ring Neck, Teal, etc, does that mean you can take all 7 of those varieties?

2. Since Dove/Pheasant/Quail/Duck are all open still, would it be better to just wander around the middle of the Valley somewhere, just to get the dog some work on anything out there?

3. If I stay on the west side of the river, I only need a CA license, correct? Or do I totally need to avoid the river, and stick to the canals and little ponds, just to be safe?

Anyway, I know it's not the greatest set of questions to ask half way through a season, but I'm a deer hunter early, then just wanting to get into this now. Want to give it a "soft" go initially, just to see how things look. Thanks for any advice (Other than "Go scout on your own"..... ;) )Willow 1.jpgWillow 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No 1, don't know, I don't hunt mud hens. No2, Yes as long as it looks like it might hold birds, food source, water, cover. No 3, Only Ca. license on ca. side of river, unless u go a little North and end up on the CRIT reservation. Then u will need a CRTI license, which goes from Jan 1st until Dec. 31st. License $85 available at Erenburg store just across bridge to the north.. CRIT, Colorado River Indian Tribes

Reactions: Vermonster
Nice looking labs. Glad you are getting back into hunting. I’ll defer to the So. Cal. guys to answer your questions but I will give this little piece of advice. Sounds like your dog is untrained and at least somewhat undisciplined (high strung). Don’t take your dog hunting until he has some hunt training including obedience training. Taking a high strung dog afield hunting who is untrained and lacks discipline and strict obedience can be dangerous for you and for your dog. It will also teach him bad habits that will be difficult to overcome Later on. Take your son hunting without the dog and work on training so he’s ready to hunt next season.

Reactions: sportyg
Yes, not planning on letting her in the canal. I remember even Mike's dog's would struggle against that current when we would shoot something there. I was hoping to hunt some of the still waters off the edge, some of those little ponds and pockets of water.

How you been, btw? Having a good year?

just started to get good... but life is good and everyone here is healthy so far.

the best advice is go down and listen on a sat. you will hear where people shoot. to hunt the backwaters you need a boat but its not as good as you would think. Mike jumped way more birds then people know. He worked for his 7 big time. go drive around and spend time :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu