Coyote hunting locations

I have called one in, two I have ambushed. Seen some during deer hunting. While hiking in.
I could have taken out. Including one bobcat.
Years past I would catch them while glassing the mountains.
Generally going across or going up.

My partner 'who moved to Arizona,'
And I saw a huge bobcat. It was stalking a squirrel hole. We were stalking it, and we got within 30 yards
Before it bust us. No tag. Deer Hunting.

If you can, you'd want to get your body into a shadow. Make sure something is behind you that breaks up your outline. When you're not in a shadow, even with concealment gear on, your movement sticks out like a sore thumb! And for sure you can't make any noise. At least, not while the caller is in between calling. I whispered to a hunting partner about a Grey Fox that showed up across a ravine. Son of a B if he didn't bust me! Their hearing is insanely good. Be on the lookout for Gray Fox as well. You may find that they come in a lot more frequently than the yotes depending on where you are. And right now they are legal (after 11-24, check regs for end date).

More experienced guys have told me don't start your calling on super high volume. Just in case there happens to be one that is relatively close by. Slowly bring the volume levels up. And when you see them coming in, I've been told you will want to slightly lower the volume down accordingly so as they approach it won't seem unnaturally loud and make them figure something is up.

Regarding busting you... oh yeah... it's crazy! You'll be contemplating turning on your red headlamp light because first light hasn't yet come in strong enough for your human eyes to see the ground very well.. (because you are craftily choosing to cleverly go up a draw to make your way into and up to an area of good visibility you decided ya wanna put that decoy at) and BOOM... ya hear 'em behind you... back on the flatlands you had to drive thru... they're yippin' to their buddies to watch out for the human!

You gotta think about all that when setting up your setup. Getting in there in such a way that you minimize how much you're seen. Thinking about how they will try to swing around to the downwind side of your setup first before they attempt to come in. You wanna be at that crosswind position to hit 'em while they're swingin' around. When possible set it up such that the morning sun is in their eyes along the pathway they are most likely to come in from initially because of the wind.

And big thing I can't stress enough is make sure for your sit spot you choose... you actually sit down and look upon where you've setup the decoy and caller. Sometimes your choice will look great, look primo... but then you go to sit down and realize once you sit down that the low brush between you two that you thought would be good for concealing lower half of your body is just high enough you can't see over it well enough, making it not work, that kinda thing.

Good stuff Larry.
Ya just like turkey calling everyone is trying to call in the dogs.
E callers can be double edge sword.
So I imagine dogs get hip, to hunters trying to call to much. The older ones are very wary. Not easy to fool.
And the dogs have to be near by.
Sometimes I just get high if possible.
Sit wait and be still and watch.
Early morning at day break.
Call with a mouth call. I have had luck with rabbit and deer fawn distress call.
But mostly sit and watch.
Every one is different. And all have their way with success.

When you do mouth calls (let's say distress calls), how long do you sound off for? And how long do you wait in between sounding-off again?

And another question I've had is. Let's say you're mouth calling, and then you see a Yote appear (and let's say they are not exposed enough yet for a shot). What do you generally do then? I'm asking since they are so darn good at figuring out where the sound is coming from. It makes me wonder how do guys go about coaxing them that last little bit when it's so close and you run high risk of them figuring out it's you.

My assumption has been that if they can't exactly yet see your movements, that you may opt to risk letting out another call, but where you're heavily cupping the end of the call with that holding hand to make it real quiet and sorta spike their curiosity. Does that sound about right?

Yes, I don't call to loud, and I call for 30 or more seconds. intervals of 20-30 seconds like 3 or 4 times. Then sit and wait, Sometimes they come in full stride.
Sometimes very cautiously.
I stop calling if can see them. But play it by ear.
That's it.

Well didnt get to go out today due to my fiance needing me to do some stuff around or place" which took about 30 mins", but am gonna get back out there tomorrow, there was a couple spots I was looking at the last time I was out and am gonna get up there before day break to make sure I'm set up good, fingers crossed.

A few things.... more time in the field equals more dead coyotes. The more stands you do, the more dead coyotes. If a coyote chop barks at you, they've seen, smelled, heard or are call wise. Move to a different stand. Approach a stand quietly from downing. Your vehicle shouldn't be seen or heard. The best stands on the best days don't always mean a coyote will come in. They have to be within hearing distance and willing to come in. Movement will get you busted, good camo (facemask) and background is your best defense. There are more coyotes in rural areas than in remote areas. Ed F

Hi Ed, thanks for your wisdom.

Ok, so if they are "call wise" or "decoy wise"... assuming they have not seen or heard or smelled you yet... you are saying that there's just no amount of working that caller that's going to coax them in. That the short, staccato, "chop barks" are your clue that at that point trying any longer at this particular spot is just a waste of your time. Correct?

OK, so when this unfortunately occurs, my assumption is that you then turn just turn off your caller. How long do you wait before getting up to fetch the decoy (which is still moving in my case), and the caller? I'm asking because I assume the idea is you'd want to let things die back down a bit and allow those particular coyotes to get bored and vacate the area before you fetch your gear, Yes?

When you do decide it's time to move, how far away (minimum) do you move from that current location? Does the thickness of the terrain affect how far away you decide to move before you setup again?

If he's out there 200 yards barking at you, he's telling all the other coyotes that the gig is up. In my experience he's not coming into bow range and neither is any other coyote. I've killed coyotes that have busted me before... on a different day and setup. I try to not let him see me leave but most often he will. I hate to educate them but it happens more often than not. Move to another setup and your odds go up. When I move, I move coyote hearing distance away... at least a half mile away. I worry more about the correct setup than the distance. I have stands 1/2 mile apart but I'm calling different country and coyotes. Time in the field is the single best thing you can do to kill coyotes and learn everytime. I've called in hundreds and have killed 37 with my bow. Ed F

ive only done it once with my bow but if you watch some hidden instinct and MFK gamecalls videos on youtube you will learn alot. watched some videos and my first set i called in 4 within 5 minutes. good luck!

Reactions: Bronkorob

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu