Coyote hunting locations

Well finally got out there this morning and tried it out. Didnt see anything but did learn a few things, one thing being I need to start going on walks with my pack on because I was wore out about halfway through. Only had time for 2 stands and both stands seemed like prime area, but i will not get discouraged. Heading back out tomorrow to a different location and fingers crossed can call one in.20181217_083251.jpgScreenshot_20181217-133659_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20181217-133706_Gallery.jpg

Glad you got out and gave it a GO. Trial and error will be what helps you close the deal on a yote sooner or later. That spot looks good, cool pictures.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Try and have a little elevation over your stands even 20’ males a world of difference. Make sure you play the wind that is #1 with have it in your face or a cross wind, don’t skyline yourself make sure to have a rock, Bush, or tree behind you. Good luck.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Well day 2 was alittle more eventful, set up at the first spot right before day break and started calling about 10 mins after that. The second the call started they were howling and barking all around me but not one would show themselves. Left that spot and headed to spot 2 and sat there for almost 40 mins with nothing. Debating on coming back to this spot again tomorrow or trying somewhere new. I can say my legs are tired lol.

Well day 2 was alittle more eventful, set up at the first spot right before day break and started calling about 10 mins after that. The second the call started they were howling and barking all around me but not one would show themselves. Left that spot and headed to spot 2 and sat there for almost 40 mins with nothing. Debating on coming back to this spot again tomorrow or trying somewhere new. I can say my legs are tired lol.
IF they wont come out play pup in distress, coyote fighting etc.

The times that yotes barked back at me was when they had seen me or winded me... but like truduct says bust out pup in distress and sometimes that'll pull them out.

They started barking and howling to female coyote, the were probably 200 yards away in this canyon, they might have seen me but didnt make a peep till the call started, I played pup distress for awhile after that but nothing wanted to play.

They started barking and howling to female coyote, the were probably 200 yards away in this canyon, they might have seen me but didnt make a peep till the call started, I played pup distress for awhile after that but nothing wanted to play.
ok... when I call I always start with a distress call. Female yote or the yote locator.... never had any luck like them, normally I use those calls when I just want to show off to buddies that yotes are out there while chilln around the campfire. I'm sure those calls work at some point during the mating or territorial yotes looking for fights.

I figure that yotes rather hear a dinner bell instead of another yote yapping... my 2 cents

i have a good idea of where you are calling and those coyotes get called by a lot of people. Right now don't try and talk to them try and get them to come and eat like IV hunter said. Start off with some jack rabbit or cottontail run those for 10-15 minutes if nothing comes in then go to pup in distress for at least 5 minutes. I never really stay at a stand more than 20 minutes. Honestly if they are going to come most of the time it is before the 8 minute mark. Then like I said they hate pup distress that works real well right now especially on the younger dogs. Also try not to do much hiking try to drive from stand to stand and only walk like 100 yds. The more stands you do them more chances you will get.

I'm trying to find more places to go and what not, I started out ever stand with the howl just for s**** and gigs, then went to cottontail distress for about 10 or so then ended with pup distress for about 10 mins at the stands. Still pretty new to the area so dont really know the sweet spots yet just kinda going to what looks good, which I'm sure looks good to everyone else. Gonna get on onx again tonight and do alittle more looking around.

Well day three was a bust as well, made 3 stands before I had to be back in town, each one lasting about 40 mins, not a thing came out. Idk if it's the spots I'm going to or what but I'm gonna keep searching, still got 7 more days off and I'm determined to get one.

Hey....come to Long Beach. They're all over the place!!! ;)

The have dens in the Mortuary off Katella in Cypress. From there they travel via the 605 Fwy river thing. Then they follow a turn-off from that that goes into La Palma just above the Los Alamitos racetrack and the CostCo property. They travel along Katella at night, then cross the street near a piece of the the Los Alamitos training base which is nearer to the Naval Golf Course. I've heard they have an extensive denning site in there. Then... they travel down the drainages all through West Garden Grove, and make there way over to the channel alongside Bolsa Chica rd all along the Naval Ammo Depot bunkers in that huge Seal Beach property that's next to "Seizure World" (Leisure World, sorry couldn't resist, hehe). They also hangout in the country club thing that's at far end of the Training base's airstrip. They hop that fence and right there just before Seal Beach Blvd there is a small drainage tunnel that gives them access under the 405 Fwy to the other side which is the Naval Ammo Depot Bunker property.

From the Blosa Chica Rd. then can make there way all throughout Hunting Beach Central Park, and the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. They also live in the grounds all around FairView Park in Costa Mesa which butts up against the Santa Ana River outlet. There's a bunch of Rabbit and Ground Squirrel over there.

Let's discuss some basics.
Is your face in the wind.
Are you fully camo, even your face.
Are you up on a hill looking down.
Are you well concealed.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I've been studying the coyote hunting pages, reading articles and everything, I feel like I'm doing everything right to my best ability.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Most of the time you don’t call one in that’s just part of it. Keep after them it will work at some point.
I’ve only tried for yotes three or four times and never got one to come in. I’ll probably try again after upland season ends.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu