Crowley lake waterfowl

schulte336

Aug 10, 2013
Anyone know anything about hunting up there near Bishop, Crowley, lower owens? I may be making some trips up there to visit friends in the next few weeks and had heard reports saying it wasn't worth it and also reports that said it was great. Anybody have any personal experience? I'm not asking for anyone's spot, just curious if it will be worth the time. Thanks

I lived in Bishop. Hunted Crowley, the Owens (upper & lower), Bridgeport, Soda Lakes and many other spots. In fact, shot my 1st duck (greenhead) in the Owens Gorge below Crowley dam.

There's lots of places to try....The drought has taken it's toll and many spots though.....Still consider it REAL waterfowling.

PM me for more details......The pic is from Crowley Lake/Magee Bay.

Attachments

• crowley lake 1982[1].jpg
    crowley lake 1982[1].jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 262
Bonejour said:
Steve your pics are amazing.

Don,

This picture was taken by a kid that walked down from Hwy 395 after he saw me hunting......One of my all-time favorites with Original Jake.

Just found this pic.......This is the Owens River mouth going into Crowley.......Always tough to get to, but the risk reward can be great.

Attachments

• crowley lake nov 1982[1].jpg
    crowley lake nov 1982[1].jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for the info. I found out I will be up there for 3 days in about a week and a half. Hopefully I can come home with a few birds :)

Try jump shooting the Upper Owens too......You'll need waders and a white suit if you have one.....Just easier sneaking up on the oxbows of the river, if there's a lot of snow.

If the lake is frozen. Head for the gorge.....It's below the Crowley dam. Tough to hunt without a dog though.....Thick, thick willows and deep beaver ponds.

Good luck

All I will say is you never know unless you go. What do you have to loose? Miles and miles of public land and tons of water. You shouldn't have problems jumping ducks of course, but usually takes some scouting and planning for some good decoying fun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu