D-11 reports

Adstaxidermyshoppe

Oct 4, 2015
I moved back to Cali from Utah, and by the time I could get around to buying a tag, only d-11 was left. I have many honey holes in d-14, but never hunted d-11. Specifically the wright wood area because it's closer to home. I've been out 4 times as time has not been on my side this year. I went Sunday of opening weekend and could not find a place to go. Lone pine canyon rd was a joke. Went all the way up hwy 2 to the locked gate and vehicles were parked everywhere they were allowed. Went past Jackson lake and the campgrounds were full of orange. Some even walking down the highway before first light. I took almost every residential road to their ends trying to get to the country behind them, but no luck either. Found one spot at about 10:00 to walk into. There were tracks on the ridges, but they all seemed to be stotting or running deer. Two miles in I got boxed in by a big canyon with a few trails into the oaks. I've been back to it three times, twice staying till end of legal light, but have only seen three does. That was on the second trip. Since then I havnt seen them or anything else. There was only one set of older boot prints down low in the canyon, so it seems the area is fairly untouched. I have checked a few of the dirt roads out, but seem to busy or not much sign or too thick to walk into.
So I was wondering how others are doing in this area...

Adstaxidermyshoppe said:
I moved back to Cali from Utah, and by the time I could get around to buying a tag, only d-11 was left. I have many honey holes in d-14, but never hunted d-11. Specifically the wright wood area because it's closer to home. I've been out 4 times as time has not been on my side this year. I went Sunday of opening weekend and could not find a place to go. Lone pine canyon rd was a joke. Went all the way up hwy 2 to the locked gate and vehicles were parked everywhere they were allowed. Went past Jackson lake and the campgrounds were full of orange. Some even walking down the highway before first light. I took almost every residential road to their ends trying to get to the country behind them, but no luck either. Found one spot at about 10:00 to walk into. There were tracks on the ridges, but they all seemed to be stotting or running deer. Two miles in I got boxed in by a big canyon with a few trails into the oaks. I've been back to it three times, twice staying till end of legal light, but have only seen three does. That was on the second trip. Since then I havnt seen them or anything else. There was only one set of older boot prints down low in the canyon, so it seems the area is fairly untouched. I have checked a few of the dirt roads out, but seem to busy or not much sign or too thick to walk into.
So I was wondering how others are doing in this area...

I've been hunting Wrightwood area for about 12 years straight now and have taken only 3 bucks out of there. Tough area to hunt because like you said you are competing with not only other hunters everywhere but also the PCT day hikers. Over the last few years it's gotten worse also. The deer have gotten smarter and can seriously hide really well. Dirt roads have gotten worse which means that the forest service just closes the gates and doesn't repair them. Weekday hunts make for the best days (but not everyone can take time off work) up there. Their is a lot of deer up there cause I see sign all over the place, they just only come out at night. Early archery season is really good because the deer aren't spooked yet. So it's not just you we are all having a hard time up there. By the way I'm going to try D14 next year and not hunt D11. Just want a change in scenery

You must've driven past me that opening Sunday am...

This was my first year deer hunting ca, and after having my main spots busted by other hunters, I was able to find some solitude in a coyote calling spot I've been visiting all year. I had seen a doe and fawn here a few months back, and come Sunday morning 3 bucks came trotting up and over a ridge 80 yards directly in front of me. The biggest forkie wouldn't give me a clear shot, so I took the 2nd biggest after he finished beating up on the smallest guy. 30-06 copper zipped in n out and it plopped over on it's side. Looked like the Winchester bullet didn't expand at all, but placement was good enough for a no tracking required kill.

Its not me but a friend we hunt with took this little boy down this past weekend.

Attachments

• 20151031_124921.jpg
    20151031_124921.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 44
Glad to see some of the 6000 are having success...
Westside, what part of d-11 did that little guy come from?
Today sucked also.hiked in about 5 miles, still hunting the whole way. Got boxed in by a big canyon again around 11:00. Set up in the shade to glass.right off the bat found a doe bedded in the wide open. I snuck in and got directly accross the canyon from her, which was probably 200 yards. I watched the area for an hour before starting to get fried in the sun. I needed to start heading back to hit another area I've been wanting to try in the evening. If there was a buck with her, at least I'd have time to pack him out. Anyways, I stood up and she looked right at me. I waved my arms, nothing. I started heaving rocks down the hill expecting the oaks around her to come alive with deer. Nothing. I started breaking burnt manzanita bushes, rolling boulders and yelling at her. She must have been blind and deaf because she didn't move. It was the wierdest thing. If the canyon wasn't so steep, i probably could have snuck up to her and tapped her with a stick to get her to move.
On the way out, I came to a super steep and nasty canyon with oaks mid way up. I jumped something out of the oaks that didn't run or stott like a deer, but rolled a ton of rocks on its escape route. I had the rim of the whole canyon in view except a rocky nasty finger, and that's right where it went. It had weight to it but was so quiet.definately not an area a bear or even deer could get in or out easy, plus there were no tracks on the trail in. I'm guessing a lion. Maybe a coyote, but would have to be a really big or clumsy one.
Got to the evening spot at 3:30. Watched a series of canyons with good sign till dark. Nothing moving again.
I'm busting my ass and have seen 4 does in 4 trips. I think they will have an extra d11 tag next year.

Jeeze thats a beast

I partly blame the extra hunter congestion this year on the premature closing of hwy 2 at vincent gap. It was closed about a month and a half early, eliminating a lot of area i, and im sure many others, wanted to hunt

Been up on the west side of D11 a few times and only have seen Doe's. First time in D11, usually A-Zone and D6. Figured I would try something local but there are way to many hikers in this Zone.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu