D-16 First Buck, now gone

I was going to post that tip about the lead bullet until I saw Steve made the same suggestion.

The lead tips (not for long) will work to fill out a tag and be legal. You might want to go over it with a pen later but this will at least get you back to the truck legal.

Nice buck, don't let it eat you up. Move on, kill more stuff.

No pen is an honest mistake. The warden was wrong to do that. I'm sorry. Nice buck!

Please keep us informed if only for educational purposes, Your mistake might save another from making the same one!

A friend had the same type of problem a while back where the regs say you must keep the skull of a doe for 14 days after the season. Odd rule that i had no clue about but i do now! Your writing about it here will save others from the same mistake for sure!

I would not let them charge you with a misdemeanor with out getting a lawyer. It could affect things down the road for you for things like ccw. As others said a deer violation will ban you for a year so its kinda a big deal even if its a infraction.

Good luck

Hey guys. One more thing. I actually had to sign 2 forms. One being the citation itself and the other being an "Evidence Receipt." He explain this as proof that they confiscated the buck. Have you guys ever heard of this evidence receipt before?

Chad

Your Mama said:
My 2ct. Fk him! That was way chicken Sh!t of him. I Think very strongly that people in and around DFG are looking to make hunting and fishing as uncomfortable as hey can to discourage us from doing it. I can go on and on. Mr. Warden let's put it this way really. If he was going to do something wrong why would he show himself to you in the first place? And one more but i have alot. i'm done dfg Are trouble makers.

I hear what your saying but I have met cool and helpful ones. Don't say more the you have to

Understood. I still think at very least. The game warden that took his deer has major issues and should not be a warden. I think that was way overboard. What would you or anyone else here have done if you were the warden? Sad, give him his deer back.

Your Mama said:
Understood. I still think at very least. The game warden that took his deer has major issues and should not be a warden. I think that was way overboard. What would you or anyone else here have done if you were the warden? Sad, give him his deer back.

I'm not trying to smash this guy but with out the holes punched I would have taken the deer poachers come in all shape and sizes. To easy to get home hanged the deer up and go you know I'm going to keep hunting. I have seen it before.

SIDENOTE
Also I would take the tag. Then go home and eat it never turn in paperwork. Guy learned and I ate good

Sdbirds said:
Your Mama said:

I'm not trying to smash this guy but with out the holes punched I would have taken the deer poachers come in all shape and sizes. To easy to get home hanged the deer up and go you know I'm going to keep hunting. I have seen it before.

SIDENOTE
Also I would take the tag. Then go home and eat it never turn in paperwork. Guy learned and I ate good

Then again with all these rules and req's it sucks. there is no reason why a guy could sign his tag when he's at the truck. there will be poachers. and I am against that for sure. I sure a warning would have been fine. they keep tightening the rules, and we let them. I say this is is a crappy rule . it should state soon as possible tag must be filled.
who justifies making these rules. that are screwed up. honest people will stay honest. bad people will stay bad, no matter what. just like thief's steal others people stuff. a poacher is a thief. nothing more.

Sdbirds said:
Your Mama said:

SIDENOTE

LoL i like the last part hahaha..

I was helping a buddiy of mine hunt and he shot a forky then we realized he lost his pen..
We used a bullet to punch the holes in the tag then when we got back to the truck tossed it (the truck) till we found a freaking pen..

sure enough game warden showed up a few mins later and we were laughing about it.. he asked what was so funny so i told him and he straight out said.. Well if it was me.. I see ur tags, hunting licenses and i can see you ACTUALLY don't have a pen nor pencil and you did your best to mark the tag.. I let u borrow my pen and have u fill ur tag.. then he says Now if it was one of my partners (he gave a nick name) he would probably take your deer so u might want to be more careful with them pens guys..

We thanked him and got ourselfs our way to have us some BBQ at home..

PS; The hunting trip was NOT planned at all, i showed up at his house and we began talking about it and just up and decided to go for an quick afternoon hunt..

Just rolled in from Montana.....The deer tag has your name on the tag and all other permanent info.....All it asks is to notch out the date with your knife and attached to either the ear or antler. The validation policy to me is stupid as well.....California makes everything way too difficult (turkey hunting excepted). Leaves way too many gray areas for hunters. And what's worse is many wardens of this era are not like wardens of yesteryear that were hunters themselves and used some common sense.

I've got a good idea who the warden was.....He's getting quite the rep!

What warden was it everyone's dropping names but I want to hear it from the horses mouth

Rules are rules. It is too easy to get home where there is a pen and then realiize that you are home with an un tagged buck and out of the hot zone. Then say screw it and not tag at all. I guess it all depends on the wardens judgement of your character and if he beleives it was an honest mistake. Then he lets you off and may be another guy or 2. Then the words spreads and you will get those poachers that will give it a try since every one else is doing it. The way I see it

Sorry guys. Just got back from a weekend tejon ranch. Had to reprieve myself from last weekend. I will have pics and story later...22-250 did it again.

Attachments

• image.jpg_thumb.png
    image.jpg_thumb.png
    934.7 KB · Views: 249
New guy here...just thought I would share a story of mine,

Years ago I took a very nice buck in northern CA. It was bitterly cold and my pen just would not work. So....I did bunch out all of the proper dates,then tagged and drug the buck back to the truck. Just like you, the warden was there when I arrived. Again, same as you he noticed the tag was not filled out. After showing that I had in fact rendered the tag useless by punching out the correct dates...he went to his truck and got a pen so I could fill the rest of the tag out. No other issues and told me congrats on the buck and headed down thew road. Even let me keep the pen :)

So just to fill everyone on this guy, He is a buddy of a good friend of mine that I invited to head up to Tejon with me for the weekend.

After hearing the story it was obvious that this was a big mistake and not intentional at all. He was still really bummed out and embarrassed

so the first evening we come down a ridge and see a couple pigs working towards some water. The pigs are funneling down through the brush and then working into an opening. there is probably 15 shootable pigs from 50-100 yards and they don't even know we are there. So i put the shooting stcks down for him, a nice sow walks into the clearing and stops broadside at maybe 50 yards. the 22-250 cracks and I did what anyone else would have done. I said "don't forget to fill out your tag"…

Then I said congrats on your first pig!

we were able to laugh about it and I think it was the best thing that could have happened to help him get over the deer issue.

I will let him tell the full story of the weekend, as long as he doesn't say exactly where we were!!!! lets just say a lot of things made it to the happy hunting grounds this weekend….

P.S. I know the regs and I still would have most likely done what he did in that situation. I guess when your an honest person and have no intent to break the law you don't think about the big picture and how the LE may view it...

That's a good ending to a lesson well learned.

So how many pens did you guys have on you?

Don't be embarrassed it's an honest mistake and one to grow on......I look at this way you saved many people from ever making that mistake by talking about it and being honest.

Sure hope Tejon gets some rain before to long some of the pastures look like a moon scape......very cool to take him to Tejon....lucky man

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu