D11 archery opener report

ultimatedude

Aug 9, 2012
Burbank
Went out this morning for the D11 archery opener to a spot up the angeles crest highway...Had one small doe come by at 7:30..then around 8am had two does come within 10 yards of me ...they didn`t even know i was there...!! I guess my scent blocker worked..!! No bucks came by during my sit so will we see what happens next week...Good luck to all and may you get your buck..!!!

well here is another D11 archery update ..went out to a favorite spot the morning and got settled in before sunrise...at about 8ish 2 large spikes came right by me at 20yds and started browsing...then 5 or six does showed up to join them...after about 15 minutes of watching them a nice buck showed up..looked like a 6 or an 8 pointer...he started sparring with the spikes then drove them away..the does went over a small hill and where coming down the other side right in front of me...i got ready for the buck to follow them but he came around a lower corner instead..Caught me be surprise..So here i am looking face to face with a nice buck at about 25yrds ...hunter buck stand off...LOL my only shot was for the chest so i drew back and let it fly....would you believe it ..that buck jumped the arrow like a scared rabbit and went off into the thicket not spooked tho...Man i am bummed....!! even tho i didn`t get the buck it was an awesome hunt....and i now have another (one that got away) story for the camp fire

Sounds like a close call. Nice to hear that the big ones are starting to show up. You'll get him next time, no doubt, and we'll all get a good look at his points! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throat patching ..my favorite. Stay the course.

Never waiver...hold the line..and FINISH!

Well i went out again this morning to old faithful D11...got there before sunrise and got settled it...around 7:30 a few does showed up and started to browse near by..after a little bit a few more does showed up behind me...At this point 2 spikes came strolling in to mingle with the does...No big buck came by but it was fun watching the spikes chase the does all morning...left around 11am as it was getting really hot out...Lets see what happens on the next hunt...!!!

Reactions: Goyaałé
I was out last Saturday morning to one of my d11 spots . Came across 9 does and 3 bucks . One forkie and 2 spikes . Couldn't close the deal on the forkie

Man of few words

Reactions: turkeyman 85
WELL....another deerless season...Had some opportunities during early archery but didn`t even see a deer during the whole rifle season...As i`ve said the past 4 or 5 years ....Lets see whats happens next year...!!!!

Passed up D12 opening to give D11 a try this year for my kids tag. Went up to check out some quail areas and saw 3 does and a spike couple weeks ago. So I decided for the last day, I would take the whole family to help my 13 year old fill his tag. Saw a bunch of trucks and hunters. Never saw a deer. Heard shots from people target shooting but not from the hunters. Saw one hunter stop his truck and rested his rifle on his side mirror looking through the scope. He got my attention. Kept my eye on him thinking he had a shot but no bang. Thought that was odd since I saw binos hanging on his chest. I was wondering if he had a possible shot why not jump off the road and be legal?

Never scouted d11 so we were not deep. Road hunting since the kid was tired from hiking d15 the day before. Like they say...better luck next year.

On to D12!

D11 is turning into a really bad and tough zone to hunt. Lots of trips up there with no deer sightings or success..... drought has definitely taken its toll on the zone, not to mentions the cats alao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu