D11 buck down!!!!!

Thanks!

Ok so here's the story. Last year my buddy missed this buck at 40 yards (really bad case of buck fever). So this year I go on a solo hunt in the exact same spot I took my buddy to last year, hoping the same buck would come back.

So I'm proned out in the ground under some good brush for about 2 hours with the gnats eating me alive. I fight the urge to leave and I wait it out until sunset. At around sunset I see 2 does come down from the hill and they are about 40 yards from me and have no idea I'm there. I'm fully drenched in my scent killer and it's working great, plus I'm down wind and not moving an inch.

Gallodeoro said:
Thanks!

Ok so here's the story. Last year my buddy missed this buck at 40 yards (really bad case of buck fever). So this year I go on a solo hunt in the exact same spot I took my buddy to last year, hoping the same buck would come back.

So I'm proned out in the ground under some good brush for about 2 hours with the gnats eating me alive. I fight the urge to leave and I wait it out until sunset. At around sunset I see 2 does come down from the hill and they are about 40 yards from me and have no idea I'm there. I'm fully drenched in my scent killer and it's working great, plus I'm down wind and not moving an inch.

:) nice work. that's a good buck

Ghost

Thanks everyone. My story got truncated but I'll finish it up now. So I see two doe disappear about 40 yards from me and they have no idea I'm there. After a few minutes it's starting to get dark so I figure I better go over the ridge to see if any of them are bucked up. I creep through the dried leaves and brush and am about 20 yards from a doe who doesn't even look up to see me. Behind her is a buck with a big neck so I pull up my rifle, aim at the front shoulder and blam. He turns southbound and takes off. 2 does run right by me like I'm not even there. After about an hour of searching for him in near pitch black I get my senses correct and go back to the area where I shot him. He ran about 10 yards and crashed through s thicket. 30-06 168 grn Barnes went through his front shoulder through the heart and out the other shoulder. Busting both shoulders and his heart. Great shot for an evening hunt but the area around the shit in the front shoulders messed up the meat. Still a lot of good meat on him though. I had to call my buddy to help drag him out because I don't have a truck. First ever successful solo hunt. I am so pumped that it was successful. Thanks to all the Info and motivation from my fellow hunters on sch!!!

Gallodeoro said:
Thanks everyone. My story got truncated but I'll finish it up now. So I see two doe disappear about 40 yards from me and they have no idea I'm there. After a few minutes it's starting to get dark so I figure I better go over the ridge to see if any of them are bucked up. I creep through the dried leaves and brush and am about 20 yards from a doe who doesn't even look up to see me. Behind her is a buck with a big neck so I pull up my rifle, aim at the front shoulder and blam. He turns southbound and takes off. 2 does run right by me like I'm not even there. After about an hour of searching for him in near pitch black I get my senses correct and go back to the area where I shot him. He ran about 10 yards and crashed through s thicket. 30-06 168 grn Barnes went through his front shoulder through the heart and out the other shoulder. Busting both shoulders and his heart. Great shot for an evening hunt but the area around the crap in the front shoulders messed up the meat. Still a lot of good meat on him though. I had to call my buddy to help drag him out because I don't have a truck. First ever successful solo hunt. I am so pumped that it was successful. Thanks to all the Info and motivation from my fellow hunters on sch!!!
Are you implying the pre rut/rut is starting now? That would be pretty sweet if it's starting early

Sent from my iPhone

It sure looked like it. This buck was with 4 other does in a group so maybe with the drop in temperature the pre-rut has started. I still have my a31 tag so I'll still be out there looking this upcoming week/weekend. Good luck to everyone, look forward to seeing those pics.

Thanks NBK! I am hoping to get a pic up here like Gallodeoro with my A31. I have been out a couple times this week with no sightings. I'm a rookie.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu