D11 hunting

Huckleberry

Mar 6, 2019
I'm moving to California in May ( Marine on orders). I've done some hunting before, mostly small game, but I have experience cleaning hogs, deer, and a variety of small game. Looking to get into deer hunting when I get there. I've heard D11 can be difficult, but I definitely don't mind putting my time in. The reason I'm going with that area is because I have family that lives in the area so I can keep my gear at their place. Looking for any advice or pointers. I grew up in Florida so California hunting is extremely confusing to me. Seems to be a lot of unnecessary regulations. If anyone would mind letting me tag along for a couple trips I'd love to go. Also if you know of any good threads I should read let me know. I played around on the forum a bit and plan to do some more this evening. Thanks in advance.

Where does your fam live at near D11? That may help dictate where within it you elect to begin checking out.

Be ready for steep!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you scans I made of their Firearms and Archery closure map.

Shows where its Archery Only in some places, where you can't do either in some places.

Tried to post it in here, but it said file is too large.

Where does your fam live at near D11? That may help dictate where within it you elect to begin checking out.

Be ready for steep!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you scans I made of their Firearms and Archery closure map.

Shows where its Archery Only in some places, where you can't do either in some places.

Tried to post it in here, but it said file is too large.
I have some family that's lives in the Fontana area and then some in phelan ( close to Victorville)

Thank you. Glad to have found this site.do you know the distance of most shots taken out there?

Hey Huck
Welcome.
See and read sch pin post in big game hunting.
Look for my post on mule deer hunting. Edit and how do you see so many deer, Distance can very depending on your stalking skills.
Install ONXHunt app on your smart phone. Tell ya the driffrent in public and private land. Look at military bases that allow military personnel to hunt on base. That would be your best bet.
Get good optics for glassing.
Read the post about on sch.
Good luck brother.

Not too terribly familiar with either of those areas. However, my hunch would be that over on the Phelan/Wrightwood side of things would probably be easier and more productive once you've found the right spot.

But yeah... that Fontana location would be a kickass starting point for a homebase for a hunter! You could easily go over to D14 as well (San Bernardino Mtns). And also checkout spots all along Glendora Mtn Road.

I'm thinkin' it would behoove you to take-up archery. When you look at the Firearms Closure map. All that foothills side up against all the cities... they only allow Archery for a certain distance back up in there. With you having a homebase right there in Fontana... that could prove quite an advantage since you can do multiple nearby trips branching out from their home. And maybe if you find a good shady draw with good browse and forage?

For rifle... my guess would be it might be easier to try on the Phelan / Wrightwood side of things, from what I vaguely remember that terrain looks like in comparison. That area by Fontana... I seem to recall it's real thick chaparral. The other side is more like Pines and less thick ground cover. Google Sattelite view it to see what I mean.

Lots of people deer are there but you have to earn them. Make sure you are using led free ammo

I'm moving to California in May ( Marine on orders). I've done some hunting before, mostly small game, but I have experience cleaning hogs, deer, and a variety of small game. Looking to get into deer hunting when I get there. I've heard D11 can be difficult, but I definitely don't mind putting my time in. The reason I'm going with that area is because I have family that lives in the area so I can keep my gear at their place. Looking for any advice or pointers. I grew up in Florida so California hunting is extremely confusing to me. Seems to be a lot of unnecessary regulations. If anyone would mind letting me tag along for a couple trips I'd love to go. Also if you know of any good threads I should read let me know. I played around on the forum a bit and plan to do some more this evening. Thanks in advance.
Why not Camp Pendelton area..I don't know much about it, except that is only available to active Marines. I would imagine you can get good intel about it in USMC forum of some sort...just a thought. If anything you will find Coyotes if you care to take them.

Reactions: Minnowerks
^this. There are plenty on Camp Pendleton for active duty...wish I was still in for that very fact! Not sure where your stationed but D16 and D19 are close as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dude!!! Definitely try to hookup that Camp Pendleton thing.

I would totally go to the section of it which is SW of D15 kinda West of DeLuz and check all up in there.

Because up and over that ridge it rolls along the bottom of... on the other side.. are these Richie-Rich private properties. Solitary big-money hillside homes with lots of space in-between 'em. Lot of 'em have Horses too, so they got water.

I'll definitely look into hunting on base, thanks for all the information.

If you want more info on Camp Pendleton PM me. I have been hunting it for the past four years and it is full of opportunities on deer, yotes, and small game. No turkeys or pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
See, I knew it!...I play golf at the Oceanside Muni sometimes and the yotes come from the Camp P. hills and they walk around the course edge looking for pets in some of the houses on the edge of the course.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu