D12

jsolares01

Mar 19, 2019
Has anyone hunted d12 before? I hear this is a difficult zone to hunt and I'm looking to see if anyone has insight to this location or I should just not bother with this zone. Also I just found out that d14 is now a premium deer hunt zone, so make adjustments to your hunt plans this year if you don't get drawn for it.

Yep, There are quality deer there but few and far between, seen some good ones but either I did not have a tag or could'nt close the deal.
How many scouting trips did it take for you to find the deer? Or did you find your spots primarily through e scouting.

I have never hunted D12, but I would imagine that glassing would be very effective since vegetation is so sparse in D12.

How many scouting trips did it take for you to find the deer? Or did you find your spots primarily through e scouting.
I have never hunted D12, but I would imagine that glassing would be very effective since vegetation is so sparse in D12.
Boots on the ground and hunted everyday of the season is how I worked along with pre season scouting, glass only works early or late in the day when the heat is low and they are moving, It's primarily boots and cover ground down wind looking for sign and hope you bump one. If you have a couple hundred game cams that would help. No joke this is a tough hunt with low success, they are there but you will have to put in monumental efforts to succeed. I hunted it top to bottom for many years dawn to dusk because I had the time and nothing else to do. I don't recommend it to someone with out stamina and patience and needs to put meat on the table. Nuff Said ?

I gave up on that zone and now concentrate on d16. Jk man. Hard zone to hunt, but it’s possible. Success rate was 10% out of 950 tags.

Looking at statistics, its the same difficultly to hunt as the rest of so cal...but those desert zones have high % of big racks. Over 1/3 of the bucks taken are 4 points (on 1 side)...you'll just have to earn it, like the rest of the so cal zones.

BTW, you will get D14 if you apply for it.

Some of the duck hunters I know also hunt D12... they're religious with their scouting efforts and hunt frickin hard. They've got camp set up for days and push the ATV then hike into deep spots. Not unlike D16 except a bit desert-ier..

Some of the duck hunters I know also hunt D12... they're religious with their scouting efforts and hunt frickin hard. They've got camp set up for days and push the ATV then hike into deep spots. Not unlike D16 except a bit desert-ier..
That seems like a theme among successful hunters that I’ve read about in all the SoCal deer zones.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu