D14 hunting

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0442.JPG so I just spent the last 4 days up in D14, &a I brought my new pup "Dash" with me. Overall he's been great. On Saturday morning we came across a doe about 40 yards away and he stopped dead in his track and just stood tall. He was locked in on her, ready to go. The minute she moved, Dash took off after. Thank goodness I had the lead tied to me. After I got him settled down we walked over to where we saw her so I could let him try and pick up her scent.
The next thing I know Dash takes off towards the bushes and jumps a 3x3 buck that runs right past me about 30 feet away. He jumps down the ridge into a gully and disappears. IT happened so fast I couldn't get a shot off.
The rest of the weekend I couldn't get closer then a 1000yrds to any of the bucks I spotted. I woke up Monday morning to wind and rain. I decide we would hunt the flats under tree cover, so we could stay a little dryer and less wind, also hoping the deer had the same idea.
We spend about 4 hrs hiking with no luck. On the way back to the truck I spot a wide 2x2 bedded under a tree about 50 yards from the truck trail. And 300 yards from me. As I set up for the shot I notice a truck coming down the trail. The guys in the truck spot the deer and one guy jumps out fires at the deer and hits the tree about 5 feet above the deer. The buck takes off and jumps down a near by ridge. I was beyond pissed. I just started to yell at these guys while making my way towards them. That was a mistake. Lesson learned, never start yelling at a truck full of ignorant morons with guns.
Also found out my pup gets a little aggressive when I get anger.
So I decide to cut my trip a little early and came home to relax and get some good home cooked food, and let the pup relax. Overall had a good time. Will be back at it tomorrow. Here's a few pictures.

Last edited:
Nic,

Great pix......Yep, guys that are idiots & have guns isn't probably a good idea.....Better luck next time.

ps.....Dash looks great.

I'm impressed Dash did so well.

Dash has impressed me at every turn... I love watching him learn and how quick he picks up on things. I was a little nervous before the season started. But MJB has done a great job with helping me get him ready and staying confidant in the pup.

Oh there's more rules than that for the "dog zones"....way to much to post

Ben, try to follow the tips I give you and don't get discouraged Cooper picks up on human thoughts/emotions real quick so a clear calm mind is key with lots of patience. And call me when you have issues like I've said before. Remember the fat kid with the chocolate cake

Great post. Looks like Dash is growing into a fine field companion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed Dash did so well.
Ben, try to follow the tips I give you and don't get discouraged Cooper picks up on human thoughts/emotions real quick so a clear calm mind is key with lots of patience. And call me when you have issues like I've said before. Remember the fat kid with the chocolate cake

Don't get me wrong Dash is a demon at times."a lot of times". There's been a lot of frustrating times with him where he will push the limits. Patience is the key.
Great post. Looks like Dash is growing into a fine field companion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Hopefully I can fill my tag so he can get his reward for all the work he's been doing.

Reactions: Bonejour
So in the 10 days that I have hunted this season. I have logged in 436 miles driving, 167 miles hiking, and the highest elevation hike was from 5240'-8010'. I saw 10 bucks no closer then a 1000 yards. 2 bucks with missed opportunities "read above". Around 2 dozen does. 1 Giant bear that was in an off limit area, and 2 mountain quail coveys. I now have a sore back, and I'm physically and mentally drained. My pup looks to feel the same way. Tag still needs filled. So it time for a new plan.

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu