D15 Rifle and Caliber

Blueman

Jun 24, 2017
Hello All,

I haven't been able to post here as much as I would have liked when I joined up due to family and work obligations, but I have a question for those familiar with the D15 rifle season. I have a mid 20th Century Winchester M94 in 30-30 Win. that I would like to try out this coming deer season . I know its rather limited on range, but for economic reasons, I probably won't be able to acquire another rifle and scope before the start of the season. I have done some light scouting already in an area of D15 I might be inclined try out. Due to the thick vegetation, my thoughts are that if a rare shot on a legal buck were to present itself, the range wouldn't be that far. A light quick handling carbine with open sights might work . Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated from those familiar or who have had success in this zone.

More deer have been shot with a 30-30 than any other caliber. Use what you have and put a deer in the freezer. If you put a Vortex Diamondback 2-7 on it for $120 you will have a gun capable of making ethical kills out to 200 yards no problem. With modern bullets you have a great deer gun. Most of your shots will be under 200 yards anyways plus closing the distance on an animal is one of the best parts.

Blue,

Totally agree with Drew (statement above).....Most your shots will be close.....Just think archery.....Stealth, camo, and wind.....Your iron sights will be more than efficient inside of 100 yds.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Give it a go. I have the same rifle and it's very accurate with just iron sights, shooting Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain. I haven't shot a deer with it but a couple friends take pigs regularly with theirs, in similar close quarters hunting situations. Heck, now you got me thinking of using it to fill a doe tag next season.

I agree as well my first rifle was my grandfathers Winchester 32 special. Not much different than a 30-30 and yes still have it. Great brush gun and open sites are not that bad. Daniel Boone shot a lot of bare with open sites!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu