D15 tagged out

You're making me hungry. Rifle season starts next week. Awesome score to put one in the freezer so early in the season!

Well we hiked in at 4am and got lost on the trail due to the fog. It was horrible cause they have the gate closed and the begging of the hike is exactly one mile to the deer trail I take down to my glassine spot. After about 30 to 45 minutes of trying to find the trail we're back on track and heading down. We make with more than enough time. The sun started to rise but the clouds were moving in fast. So we only had a few minutes of glassine before we got socked in. Now we're only getting really small gaps of visible areas as far out as 5 to 7 hundred yards. I spot some does in the river bottom and we watch them disappear into the thick and than clouds. It clears I find them again but the bed down in some thick stuff. Now I have been watching this group of deer and knew that they were starting to rut. There was a total of 15 together and only three were bucks. Two forkys and one that was 3x3 or better. I was watching these deer for the last 3 days but they were three ridges over and at the top of the mountain. But in the summer I'd watch the does circle back down to the bottom about every three to four days.
Now the clouds start to break up pretty fast so I started to glass the mountain they were on the last few days. When I bro in law said buck just bedded. I put my glass on him and spot and confirmed he was a shooter. So we pack up and head down but losing visibility fast, but I told him we'll just wait him out. We settle in and it starts to rain for a bit....it stops and the sun starts to beam on everything and I figured he reposition. And my instincts were spot on, I catch him coming down the river valley I range him at 238 yard and lost him in the bush. So I settled into shooting position and was waiting for him to step out on the right of the brush. When my bro in law said he's in the open. Ask him where and he said the left....I turn and find him. I tell my bro that I'm taking and ask him if he's ready... He said yes. I take the shot and the buck is down.
I made a instant kill shot but it was bad. Since I was aiming at the shoulder but hit him the the spine above the last rib. But it worked out cause he dropped in his tracks and was done before we started to climb down. Now it's time for a bigger deer in D16. But before that I volunteered to help a buddy with his AZ couse deer hunt next week. Another reason why I took such a young deer and the other reason is cause I cooked the last of my Buck from last year.
I'm gonna try and figure out why I can't post picture from my iPhone 6.

Great story. You put in the work, it's nice you got the payoff. Looking forward to your kill shot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu