D15 this weekend bsing + QnA

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
Well I'm back from a weekend at d15. Forum member xjon was awesome enough to show me the ropes during his normal routine and I was able to scout some with him a few weeks back when we made plans for this weekend to archery hunt. Learned an awful lot. Saw some really awesome signs that included heavy prints (dew claws too), lots of deer scat, beds, food source spotting and exploring. We hunted Saturday morning, bushwhacked and explored
More Saturday afternoon, hunted Saturday evening and Sunday morning. He's still out there now, I was worn out enough after this morning to hightail it home to prep for work in the morn.

We were out several hours before sunset and hunted through about 20 post dark. I think we did all the right things too; setup upwind in an ambush area near high traffic seeming areas etc. unfortunately, while we heard some rustling and stuff we did not see a thing, not even with glass.
Was still tons of fun and I'll attach some pics I took. On to the important stuff

With d16 rifle coming up end of next month , I've decided I simply cannot dedicate the time to 2 different hunting districts and thus will focus on that. After this weekend, I'm ready to buy a few gadgets to help out.

1. Tripod
I've seen bog pods and trigger pods. What's your preference and why?

2. Bino's
I have a old but workable set now, but my girl is coming along and more eyes more better. What's a decent brand of bino's you can buy with nice harness case and such? I assume 10x50 is the best power?

3. Range finder
Was very clear that while shooting arrows at guessed distances isn't too hard, shooting bucks at guessed is. What is a decent range finder that can hit 2-300 meters? Anything specific to look for?

4. Hunting chair
Sitting in the ground in a made up ground blind is cool, but a chair and tripod sure makes moving less easier. Recommendations on some easy carry/comfortable chairs?

5. Game tag n bag
Say I get crazy lucky, unless I'm super close unlikely won't drag a whole deer back. I've got a nice knife with gut hook. What else do I need?

As always thanks for all. Here's some pics... How is my camo? Good?
7827a820f43cfa4f913dab994441e4d1.jpg
0366bdb4c036eb14dcbb2e4e50d27b1e.jpg
a6eb7d38928b79975771ac674d8d1a51.jpg
0c9c1d2709573ada033b94f3cfcebd60.jpg
21f298ab7e16c288dc75e3ec7634608a.jpg
f4c474408b0e755430e698dc2509c981.jpg
f128007b65adf31b1d44d52fed4ea6b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh also, my budget is like 5-700 max for all that stuff. I would really like some game cams and a stand or blind. But this year being my first I'm really focused on learning to spot them and their habits and I feel like this is the way to go; if I get a shot off sweet, but Game cams come later.

And last question: do you guys Mark your trails/paths or anything? Even with GPS, we found that following a trail on just headlamps was hard to re-find a killer spot again. Do you hang ribbon or something on places to turn or go so you can get some aid early? Tips in favor or against?

I'd put a range finder on the top of your list. It's critical especially with a bow. So hard to guess distances in the field. I only have experience with leupold.

I have a pair of 10x occulous binos I bought from bass pro for under $200 and they've served me well.

I use a Garmin Oregon GPS with the $100 OnXmaps California hunting chip installed. The chip gives you maps of all the hunting zones and let's you know if you're on private property of government land. You can also plot a good spot and you don't need cell service.

Are you hunting with broad heads on your arrow or the field tip? You should use broad heads of the same weight as your target field tips for hunting.

Last edited:
Wow, where to start...
Half decent binos and rangefinder will use up all your budget, but they are the only mission critical items on your list, so start there. You have to have good binos that will let in plenty of light in low light conditions, and let you focus through the trees. 8 or 10x 42 is popular. Go to the store and look through the glass. If you look at several brands side by side you'll get an idea of how it might feel to look through a cheap pair all day long (very uncomfortable). So buy the best glass you can afford; you'll be glad you did. For specifics, search on previous threads. There are some great discussions posted already, both on binos and on rangefinders.
A good rangefinder for archery doesn't have to be very expensive: all you need is accurate measurement and halfway decent topics. You don't need any fancy ad-ons.
You can save your money by not buying a tripod yet. You would need it for a spotting scope but unless you are planning quarter-mile stalks, in archery you need only binos (not scope) to see through the woods and to improve your low light vision. Use good technique for holding and supporting the binos and you'll do fine.
You can use an old (clean) pillow case for a game bag. No need to spend money at this point on a special item. Rather than buying a product, focus on learning the keys to protecting/preserving the meat. For example, gut the animal to help the meat cool, then remember that heat, moisture and dirt are the things you need to protect it from. If you understand the principles, you can figure out a cheap alternative for game bags and save yourself a little money.
I also wouldn't worry about a chair at this point, but the lightest one I've seen is the Crazy Creek chair. Easy to carry, easy to deploy and break down. I use it for turkey hunting.
As far as a field dressing kit, here is what I keep in mine:
Folding saw,
knife(ves) for gutting/skinning, quart size ziplock bag (for the bloody gloves, paper towels, etc to go in when I'm done)
A paper towel or two to wipe knife,
A bottle of water for rinsing,
latex gloves and vet gloves (cover your arm up to the shoulder)
Pen to fill the tag,
String, rubber band or tape to attach the tag to the animal
Hope this helps.

Reactions: xjon
I'd put a range finder on the top of your list. It's critical especially with a bow. So hard to guess distances in the field. I only have experience with leupold.

I have a pair of 10x occulous binos I bought from bass pro for under $200 and they've served me well.

I use a Garmin Oregon GPS with the $100 OnXmaps California hunting chip installed. The chip gives you maps of all the hunting zones and let's you know if you're on private property of government land. You can also plot a good spot and you don't need cell service.

Thanks I'll check Thise out!

Yeah I have onx on my phone but I felt like even in the dark we had trouble finding the exact spot and realized it when a little bit of light came up and boom too late

Wow, where to start...
Half decent binos and rangefinder will use up all your budget, but they are the only mission critical items on your list, so start there. You have to have good binos that will let in plenty of light in low light conditions, and let you focus through the trees. 8 or 10x 42 is popular. Go to the store and look through the glass. If you look at several brands side by side you'll get an idea of how it might feel to look through a cheap pair all day long (very uncomfortable). So buy the best glass you can afford; you'll be glad you did. For specifics, search on previous threads. There are some great discussions posted already, both on binos and on rangefinders.
A good rangefinder for archery doesn't have to be very expensive: all you need is accurate measurement and halfway decent topics. You don't need any fancy ad-ons.
You can save your money by not buying a tripod yet. You would need it for a spotting scope but unless you are planning quarter-mile stalks, in archery you need only binos (not scope) to see through the woods and to improve your low light vision. Use good technique for holding and supporting the binos and you'll do fine.
You can use an old (clean) pillow case for a game bag. No need to spend money at this point on a special item. Rather than buying a product, focus on learning the keys to protecting/preserving the meat. For example, gut the animal to help the meat cool, then remember that heat, moisture and dirt are the things you need to protect it from. If you understand the principles, you can figure out a cheap alternative for game bags and save yourself a little money.
I also wouldn't worry about a chair at this point, but the lightest one I've seen is the Crazy Creek chair. Easy to carry, easy to deploy and break down. I use it for turkey hunting.
As far as a field dressing kit, here is what I keep in mine:
Folding saw,
knife(ves) for gutting/skinning, quart size ziplock bag (for the bloody gloves, paper towels, etc to go in when I'm done)
A paper towel or two to wipe knife,
A bottle of water for rinsing,
latex gloves and vet gloves (cover your arm up to the shoulder)
Pen to fill the tag,
String, rubber band or tape to attach the tag to the animal
Hope this helps.

tripod is for the rifle :). not for the binos, don't need it for the bino's.
I have a folding eversaw
I do kind of still want the chair. i used a chair on one evening of this hunt and it made my comfort and stillness capability much better then hanging out in the dirt.
also unfortunately the closest bass pro to me is rancho cucomunga. I've been there once and I won't go back. the drive + time loss just isn't worth it. I would rather get some recommendations and buy online/return if i really have to.

I'm 26, I don't really have "old clean pillow cases" lol. plus doesn't blood leak through?

thanks!

so i think perhaps my post was mislead a bit. I was really looking for some brand/product recomendations for the stuff I wanted to buy.

I'll check out the chair and occulus bino's for sure. maybe it'll help if i look up 2 or 3 and ask which of these would do the best job.

Check out vortex for affordable binos and Leupold for both binos and rangefinder. You'll find used rangefinder on this forum from time to time, and after you try some, check eBay for deals.
All game bags leak blood; you want the blood and heat out of the meat. Plastic holds them in and is only useful for keeping the inside of your car from getting messy. If you want to invest in good game bags, you can re-use them after washing so it's a good long term investment but not top priority at this moment if you're in a budget.

Just a quick comment, from looking at your pictures it seems you are sitting with your knees above your chest... you will never be able to get into shooting position when a deer is within range if you are sitting that low. Also, be sure to practice from any sitting position you expect to take a shot from -- very different than standing.

Here's the gear I started with below, it's solid gear for the money... if anything, down the road you may want to upgrade your optics.

Vortex Diamondback 10x42
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optic...2645&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+diamondback+10x42

S4 Bino Harness
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HA24JK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nikon Rangefinder
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8397-A...8&qid=1473692724&sr=1-4&keywords=range+finder

Trigger Stick Monopod
https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Monop...&qid=1473692821&sr=8-2&keywords=trigger+stick

For chairs with a rifle, go for this style of chair. I have the browning and it is very high quality, but you can pick this style up for cheaper if you want. This puts you way to low to the ground for bow though. I'd recommend a dove stool if you want a chair for bow.
https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Cam...73693257&sr=8-1&keywords=strutter+chair&psc=1

Just a quick comment, from looking at your pictures it seems you are sitting with your knees above your chest... you will never be able to get into shooting position when a deer is within range if you are sitting that low. Also, be sure to practice from any sitting position you expect to take a shot from -- very different than standing.

Here's the gear I started with below, it's solid gear for the money... if anything, down the road you may want to upgrade your optics.

Vortex Diamondback 10x42
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optic...2645&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+diamondback+10x42

S4 Bino Harness
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HA24JK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nikon Rangefinder
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8397-A...8&qid=1473692724&sr=1-4&keywords=range+finder

Trigger Stick Monopod
https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Monop...&qid=1473692821&sr=8-2&keywords=trigger+stick

For chairs with a rifle, go for this style of chair. I have the browning and it is very high quality, but you can pick this style up for cheaper if you want. This puts you way to low to the ground for bow though. I'd recommend a dove stool if you want a chair for bow.
https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-8525214-Strutter-Folding/dp/B007PIRAYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473693257&sr=8-1&keywords=strutter+chair&psc=1
thanks!! FYI with the pics yeah that's how I was sitting, but I practiced a dry fire (draw and then just don't release) from the position I was sitting in to ensure I could get it off. most of the time I was sitting with my back propped up and legs either crossed or out flat

I'd head to a store and hold the different sizes to see which one you prefer. At 10x power I'm not sure if you'd see too much improvement in brightness between 42mm and 50mm... but I have never done a side by side test myself. And I'd still recommend practicing some shots from that sitting position, you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes to your shot between possibly craning your neck a weird way, twisting your wrist slightly, etc. Hell, I have a bad scar on my inner left knee from when I was practicing shooting sitting down from a weird angle. Knee slipped between the cam and limb... upon release, the sharp edge of the cam took off a sizeable chunk of my inner knee as it rotated forward. Yeoowww!

yeah I often practice shooting sitting. thanks for the advice!! I think I'm going to go 10x50. that's what my current pair is and I like the visual it provides. its like $20 more for the larger diameter

Best advices with regards to glass...try them at the store. Check the difference between 8x and 10x. Side by side 8 will be brighter and bigger field of view. It will be better and more efficient in locating. Downside is you will wish you can dial up the magnification once you see the deer (that is why people carry both binos and spotters).
Then compare between 42 and 50 size and weight. Not just handling it but imagine hiking for miles with it around your neck and just holding it up to your eyes. Less weight more time to your eyes.
You should have tried mine on the field (8x42).
As far as glass go, my friend once told me, "its not the bush that you can see several hundred yards away, its whats behind the bush that you can and can't see". Thats the difference between big 5 optics and quality glass.

By the way, regarding the chair and shooting from a sitting position: i sit and kneel on the ground to keep a low profile. I practice from both sitting and kneeling. Shooting a bow out of a low chair is going to be a lot harder if you have to swivel to line up your shot. Consider a pair of knee pads. Cheap and the rocks won't hurt your knees. I found non-Velcro knee pads at Lowe's. Cheap, light, and very practical.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/AWP-Non-Marring-Plastic-Cap-Knee-Pads/50175687

Reactions: Macsteve
Thanks I'll check Thise out!

Yeah I have onx on my phone but I felt like even in the dark we had trouble finding the exact spot and realized it when a little bit of light came up and boom too late

with onx you are able to save your tracks, when I scout ahead of season I'll save my tracks then you can navigate in the dark of night accurately to within a few feet

yeah I often practice shooting sitting. thanks for the advice!! I think I'm going to go 10x50. that's what my current pair is and I like the visual it provides. its like $20 more for the larger diameter
check out the Vortex Diamondbacks , I got mine for $189 Amazon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu