D15 this weekend bsing + QnA

Macsteve,
I also have the Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42. I chose the 42 over the 50 just cause they're less bulky.

For a rangefinder I have a Redfield Raider 550, got it for under 100 bucks when they we're closing them out for the 600 model. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a high priced unit but I love how small it is and it does what I need it do. It literally fits in a t-shirt chest pocket.
For knives I started out with the normal buck drop point style hunting knives. I still carry one, but the last couple years I've become a big fan of the Havalon knives. I've got several models and sizes and they work great.
For shooting sticks I carry the Vanguard Scout B62, again nothing fancy but does what I need it to.
Game bags have been pretty well covered with pillow cases, I've used a brand called Cross hairs that I've ordered off amazon I think, seem to be good quality bags that hold up.
I've never really used a chair. There's definitely been times I've wished I had one, especially if I'm sitting in the cold. I may look into, Remember though it is another thing you're gonna have to lug around and out of the field.
I definitely mark my spots and trails. I use a Garmin Rhino loaded with OnX California landowner maps. The Rhino is nice because everyone I hunt with has one as well and it also functions as a radio. Also you can see your buddies location on your map and they can see yours. Definitely comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welp gotta invest in yourself and the sport to play.

heres my final amazon list that I just submitted.

primos double bull tri stool (mine and the girls)
shoulder length cleaning gloves 2 pack
48" pack of 4 game bags - the pillow case and stuff was a good idea but I really don't have that kind of stuff...and it was $15..
Bog Pod camo tripod
rib spreader
2 piece skinning/gutting knife set - I already have 1 really nice gerber knife but these will complement.
Nikon 8397 Range Finder
Vortex diamond back optics. I did go for 10x50, that's my current set and I'm sure these will be a little lighter. I really have very little problems glassing with the current set, but my girl will get the hand me downs and I've got the new hotness.
2 mossy oak binocular strap back harness thing. the S4 kit seemed nice, but too complicated to combine with a backpack as well.
1. ALPS outdooorz huntress womens pack...gotta make the girl carry her share of meat too ;).

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll be out in D16 scouting during daytime this weekend and hope to come back with a specific spot I want to watch early morn.

Reactions: jjayson54321
Macsteve,
I also have the Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42. I chose the 42 over the 50 just cause they're less bulky.

For a rangefinder I have a Redfield Raider 550, got it for under 100 bucks when they we're closing them out for the 600 model. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a high priced unit but I love how small it is and it does what I need it do. It literally fits in a t-shirt chest pocket.
For knives I started out with the normal buck drop point style hunting knives. I still carry one, but the last couple years I've become a big fan of the Havalon knives. I've got several models and sizes and they work great.
For shooting sticks I carry the Vanguard Scout B62, again nothing fancy but does what I need it to.
Game bags have been pretty well covered with pillow cases, I've used a brand called Cross hairs that I've ordered off amazon I think, seem to be good quality bags that hold up.
I've never really used a chair. There's definitely been times I've wished I had one, especially if I'm sitting in the cold. I may look into, Remember though it is another thing you're gonna have to lug around and out of the field.
I definitely mark my spots and trails. I use a Garmin Rhino loaded with OnX California landowner maps. The Rhino is nice because everyone I hunt with has one as well and it also functions as a radio. Also you can see your buddies location on your map and they can see yours. Definitely comes in handy.

that rhino radio feature sounds crazy useful. Honestly I'm not worried too much about pack weight and such. I'm young and dumb. once I'm old and broken i'll buy light stuff haha

that rhino radio feature sounds crazy useful. Honestly I'm not worried too much about pack weight and such. I'm young and dumb. once I'm old and broken i'll buy light stuff haha

Super useful.

Best of luck scouting. Remember it's gonna be a whole other ball game come rifle season in D16...a lot more orange out there.

I would rethink the 8x42s in the best glass you can afford. I love the wider field of view. Especially since you already have 10x50s. The weight will make a difference for long glassing and for when you eventually add a spotting scope and tripod to your pack.

I'm going to use them this weekend. Amazons return policy is great. Worst case I'll return and buy other

Pillow cases work out fine. If they get bloody wash them in water with hydrogen peroxide. They come clean. Or you could John Wayne it carrying the whole carcass.

Reactions: Macsteve
Pillow cases work out fine. If they get bloody wash them in water with hydrogen peroxide. They come clean. Or you could John Wayne it carrying the whole carcass.

If I had pillow cases I would use them haha you guys convinced me

i took some advise from a previous post and and ordered the vortex tripod pod adapter to use with the 10x50 diamondbacks , made
a world or diffference, glassed for 3 hours no straining ,no fatigue a great accessory for $20

Reactions: Macsteve
i took some advise from a previous post and and ordered the vortex tripod pod adapter to use with the 10x50 diamondbacks , made
a world or diffference, glassed for 3 hours no straining ,no fatigue a great accessory for $20

That too is a great idea!!!

Edit: Amazon 19.99. Done

Last edited:
There is a guy selling some really great Bino's for cheap on Bloody decks Hunting classified section

my other advice for a good inexpensive pair would be the Vortex bingo's that Big 5 carries. Vortex is great for the price.

I carry a range finder and have only used it once while rifle hunting. while I was bored...

I've been golfing since I was 3, so distances have always come naturally. Bushnell makes an inexpensive one that comes with a decent set of bingo's. they are perfect for your girlfriend. My kids use them as well as buddies that don't own any.

eh I think the vortex diamondbacks are probably comparable and in the size I was looking for. 179 is the price online so its not really a deal.

Ever heard of the saying, "buy once, cry once"?
It applies to optics.

hard to judge scope/binos with just prices alone. Cant tell you enough to compare side by side. As in look through the glass test. Some scope are priced expensive for the name. Vortex changed the game on that one. But even Vortex has different models which vary a lot in prices. Makes one wonder....
So when I purchase on a budget, I intend to buy one "for real" later on. Just trying to save you from a later purchase.
And asking people their opinions online about optics...good luck. Need to try on yourself.

hard to judge scope/binos with just prices alone. Cant tell you enough to compare side by side. As in look through the glass test. Some scope are priced expensive for the name. Vortex changed the game on that one. But even Vortex has different models which vary a lot in prices. Makes one wonder....
So when I purchase on a budget, I intend to buy one "for real" later on. Just trying to save you from a later purchase.
And asking people their opinions online about optics...good luck. Need to try on yourself.

Xjon, I think he's made it obvious he wants to do it all from his couch. You can lead a horse to water, as they say,....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu