D15 zone

There are some incredible resources on this forum, go back through some old threads and read...then read again and put the info to use.

Last edited:
Honestly if you don’t scout that place every evening during the summer it’s tough. Trust that’s my home zone I live 10 minutes from the gate.
so my advise is either scout more and lower standards(if you have high ones) or pick another zone. It’s the worst zone in the whole state to hunt.

Reactions: invisible man
Honestly if you don’t scout that place every evening during the summer it’s tough. Trust that’s my home zone I live 10 minutes from the gate.
so my advise is either scout more and lower standards(if you have high ones) or pick another zone. It’s the worst zone in the whole state to hunt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The problem isn’t a lack of hills to hunt, the problem is that those hills are covered in super thick chaparral that you can’t hike through. The one year I did hunt D15 i hunted a burn, once they open up the holy fire burn area it could be a decent area to hunt. Burn areas make D15 much easier to hunt because they clear out the super thick chaparral. In Larry’s youtube vids he found some meadows and had some success, that’s another option you have is to find some meadows. I’m looking forward to checking out the holy fire burn to see if it has any potential.

The problem isn’t a lack of hills to hunt, the problem is that those hills are covered in super thick chaparral that you can’t hike through. The one year I did hunt D15 i hunted a burn, once they open up the holy fire burn area it could be a decent area to hunt. Burn areas make D15 much easier to hunt because they clear out the super thick chaparral. In Larry’s youtube vids he found some meadows and had some success, that’s another option you have is to find some meadows. I’m looking forward to checking out the holy fire burn to see if it has any potential.
What about D11

In D11 the problem is mostly how steep it can be. Not a lot of flat. They have chapparral parts too, and just as thick, but at least they have other types of terrain in there as well.

And you're likely going to be hiking quite a ways in to find spots that have them. And... while you're hiking in... in some places you just might be doing so on a perfectly good road. But you, me, and the guy nextdoor don't have the priviledge to somehow be able to drive on those roads. And they way things are laid out in D11, you're often hiking down-in off the Hwy... which means you're hiking UP and out to leave, which saps your energy pretty harshly sometimes.

Also the presence of hikers can be problematic in D11 depending on where you go. Places you wouldn't even think would be an issue... sure enough... you hit up a spot enough... you'll run into them meadering in thru the area you're sitting on. All talkin' loud, etc.

Either way... big thing is for you to hike-in in the dark of the morning...be there and settled into an area you have interest in BEFORE the sun comes up. AND... you also stay until AFTER legal shooting time has ended and hike back out in the dark. If you don't get in there early and leave late. Almost gauranteed you're not going to see much of anything.

In time... you'll have seen a darn lot of Does before you finally get to even see your first buck in person someday. Just be persistent and definitely get yourself TrailCameras!

Reactions: Dorian0103
What about D11

I think if you backpacked into some of the higher peaks around mt baldy and cucamonga peak you might find some big bucks because most hunters probably hunt lower and it looks like some rough country where a buck could grow old.

Reactions: Nuevo
Consult their Firearms Closure Map. Mt. Baldy is off limits to both gun and bow.

The biggest buck I've ever seen in So Cal was in D15, easy 24" wide and 4x4. Sadly it's been closed off to hunting now but when I saw him 18 years ago it was huntable, I regret not getting a tag and going after him. Seeing him go over the ridge and bed down to where I could see just his antlers move as he turned his head is burned into my brain...It haunts me to this day.

I live right up against CNF in D15 and been up there many times trying to hunt it, I get the allure of it but once your in there you literally can only see like a radius of 4’ around you at one time. Instead of hiking in an hour or two to find 200 square feet of open space now I drive an hour or two and hunt not far from the car. See alot more animals now and no people.

Here is what you will be looking at in 95% of it, take a shotgun or pistol for such close range.

87DD805C-D5BB-4C70-956D-1B5E0E8DA848.jpeg

Drive a little bit and can get this

00053A11-9FD0-4077-8AEF-E7F7678993AE.jpeg

AAD56659-67FC-44ED-B7AB-F6625756E1FD.jpeg
A25ABEDB-1DAE-46CF-AEE6-9B3B5A65DB23.jpeg
2AE1F599-15E5-4A30-A0AC-850375109D87.jpeg
See what I mean.

Reactions: torresmick
I live right up against CNF in D15 and been up there many times trying to hunt it, I get the allure of it but once your in there you literally can only see like a radius of 4’ around you at one time. Instead of hiking in an hour or two to find 200 square feet of open space now I drive an hour or two and hunt not far from the car. See alot more animals now and no people.

Here is what you will be looking at in 95% of it, take a shotgun or pistol for such close range.

View attachment 41611

Drive a little bit and can get this

View attachment 41612

View attachment 41613
View attachment 41614
View attachment 41615
See what I mean.
Wow, big difference!
Around what area should I be driving to?
I know it's the million dollar question but I'm really green in this area.

If you don’t have OnX use this link below, same thing pretty much except for not as mobile friendly but awesome on a lap/desktop, its free, and gives access to all 50 states. Head for yellow and green areas, change the layer so you can see the topo version of the map and/or satellite. You can print them also. I always leave a printed copy with my wife and she is like what does this even mean. I tell her just to give it to the police if I don’t Come home they will know how to read it so they can find me. Topo maps take a little getting used to but once you get a feel for them you can tell right away how steep or flat the land is from home, and they show you where the water is. Spend a few hours looking for some promising spots and then take a drive and go on a coyote hunt, if you have tags bring them along. When your out there take note of the animals, plants, and sign you see, will come in handy later when you want to target specific ones.

I can spend days on this tool, makes California seem small.

Blm Mapping System Link

If you don’t have OnX use this link below, same thing pretty much except for not as mobile friendly but awesome on a lap/desktop, its free, and gives access to all 50 states. Head for yellow and green areas, change the layer so you can see the topo version of the map and/or satellite. You can print them also. I always leave a printed copy with my wife and she is like what does this even mean. I tell her just to give it to the police if I don’t Come home they will know how to read it so they can find me. Topo maps take a little getting used to but once you get a feel for them you can tell right away how steep or flat the land is from home, and they show you where the water is. Spend a few hours looking for some promising spots and then take a drive and go on a coyote hunt, if you have tags bring them along. When your out there take note of the animals, plants, and sign you see, will come in handy later when you want to target specific ones.

I can spend days on this tool, makes California seem small.

Blm Mapping System Link
Awesome. Thanks!

Yo Trap, next time you're heading toward photo 2 and 3, let me know, I'll tag along and maybe we can double-team something again! HA!

In that green picture with open trees, is that an armadillo to the left??

D19 and D16 if my 2 and 3 are correct, will let you know next time I am heading out there.

no armadillo, thats my hen decoy up in grass valley.

Been wanting to check out the east side of Sand to Snow and Alamo Lake area in AZ after deer season. Still have three weeks to fill my tag in D12.

Right on. Was really out of it this weekend. Something is gripping Mama and me by the lungs and sinus, pretty harshly. And for some reason, when I entered in all my dates in Google Calendar I must have messed-up on the ending date range for D15. So that was cool because I was kinda bummed that I thought this being sick prevented me from my last weekend to try. Re-checked again and saw it was 11-10, so kinda stoked I get one more try!

Then I figure it's Upland, Dove and BobCat til end of the year. I have a Bear Tag, but I figure since BobCat is going away makes more sense to focus on that til year end just in case.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu