D16 first hunt ever

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
D16 opener 745 am. Got it with my dad's rifle and dads gear that I got after he passed. Such a special day. Not bad for a first deer hunt?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 82
Awesome!
Keep it going by having a family feast including some of the venison (along with your father's favorite foods).

That is so great......I know the special feeling when I killed a buck a couple of years ago with my dads old Rem 721, 270.....Outstanding effort........ 8)

The whole story now. So growing up I was all about fishing, and never hunted bc it was my brother and dads thing. after he passed in Jan 2014 I inherited some of his guns. I had a vision and mission to get a deer with his rifle. Growing up that rifle was always talked about how powerful it was and there was some sort of prestige about it with me. I cant explain. My hunting started with dove and quail with his shotguns and i knew this year I was going to go a step further and go for a deer. There was a deer that he had mounted in out living room all our life that he shot at el cap lake that I can remember super vividly and I can remember the few times he talked about the deer and the hunt. So that is the back story and today was opener. I got up way to early, couldn't sleep well with anticipation and kind of had it in my head that I wouldn't see a deer and my friends doubting me was not helping me with confidence. I went out. parked and was super nervous about being out alone in the woods at night. I was hesitant but manned up and got on my was. I ran into a few hunters and also I few eyes that spooked me. When I went down toward my spot a stopped and just listened to the birds for a while and called a few quail in that got really close. I kept walking down the trail and and was trying to be quite and honestly not knowing what im doing. Ok so im going to go to my spot. its just over this ridge, and i am bush waking a little and came up over the hill and remembered what I learned from reading the grey ghost book. don't stand up crest hills, creep over. so i creep ove r and sit down. as soon as i looked up, I saw a deer. NO WAY. in shock at this point then was let down discovering it was a doe, then another doe, and ten feet to right, a BUCK. as I am looking through my scope at full zoom it is the picture perfect deer hunter pose, broadside facing the right. looking through the cross hairs, I am shaking so bad its unreal. I had a moment of doubt and said at least I saw one, then quickly decided no I am not going to miss my chance. take three deep breaths and bam. I see two doe running off and cant see the buck. I started freaking out bc I don't know if i missed because i was shaking so bad. I waited about ten minutes then approached the deer. There he was, didn't even move after he was hit. now I was really freaking out. I had no idea what to do. I don't care all the advice and books or youtubes you watch until you get into this position, its terrifying. I drug the deer to a spot i could field dress him, did that, called y friends and my uncle. they hiked in and helped me carry out the meat. the hike was so hard to made it even more worth it. as recommended I called specialty meats in Escondido and that's where the buck is at. overall this is such a special day for me and it meant so much to me share it with my family and friends, I couldn't have done it without them. quartered and carcass weighed out at 85lbs. it was about a 70yrd shot too. again I cant believe it happened all so fast like this and feel so lucky to harvest a deer on my first hunt. feeling blessed.

Darren,

This is the kind of story that will inspire many.....Thank you so much for sharing.....Top 10 stories of the year!

Great story. The hunting tradition is now passed to you. Next, you can pass it on to another generation in the future. Keep it up and congrats.

Nice job Gcddarren! Nice post. It is always great to take our past and make something special from it.

Congrats dude! I've always believed handed down items like that gun carry part of the spirit of the previous owner. Maybe your old man was there to steady the shot right before you pulled the trigger. Either way, that's a killer first hunt!

D16 first hunt ever

Darren, I'd definitely hang it up because you'll never top this hunt.
Just kidding!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu