D16 Iron Mountain Poway/Ramona

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
So convinced the wife to go early morning hiking tomorrow morning.... (scouting for me) With that said, she picked iron mountain. Sure some of you are familiar with this.
Looked in OnX Hunt and appears halfway up the trail it turns to public land? Is this correct? Deer hunt zone per OnX
City of Poway and then County of San Diego Park and Rec.

Don't really expect to see much so close to town and so much traffic, but thought the hike/practice would be good.
Thanks,
-Robert

Robert,

There's basically 4 kinds of hunting props in San Diego Co. that are legal to hunt.....CNF, BLM, DFW, and private with written permission.....If that area isn't one of those.....It's probably illegal to hunt there.

ps....Lots of deer and one of the most impressive bucks I ever was near there.

Hate to break it to you but basically the only legal hunting on public land is on federal land (BLM, NF) because this is California (exeption being some state wildlife areas which can be found on wildlife.ca.gov)

*edit* tool to long to post...see what Steve said above

Okay, thanks for the education. I thought that was too good to be true.
Was confusing because the Onx app was saying public land and deer hunt zone.
Oh well, guess we'll treat this as an exercise. Maybe glass that monster buck Steve saw. :)
-Robert

Reactions: KoozeDeer
So ended up scrapping the iron mtn hike, instead for actually checking out access to viable D16 areas.
E-scouted an area that I was semi-familiar with, unfortunately a well hiked trail, but still good access to CNF back country it appears.
Pulled up off the main road, got out to take a look and not 5 minutes in, Game Warden vehicle drives by slowly, wave and he moves on.
5 minutes after that a CNF Ranger pulls up and gets out. Get to chatting, nice gent named Joey. No expert by any means, but Joey shares lots of much appreciated valuable information. Tells me a few close areas to check out and how to get to them. Wouldn't call it spooked, but he does have a healthy respect for the increased Mtn Lion activity. The previous night one defecated right at the start of the main trail, and he's heard reports of them drinking from the pools of the nearby houses. He was down in the bush several weeks ago looking for a report of a poached deer and his partner was growled at close range. Never saw it, but they didn't wait around to either. Regardless of legality. archery hunting or not, he wouldn't be caught out without a sidearm for protection.
All said and done, only hiked in a mile or so and found a good vantage point, got a few hours scoping the nearby ravines and valleys. Plenty of deer trails crisscrossing the face of the hills. Wasn't really expecting to see much, heat of the mid-day and all, but the exercise itself and conversation with the ranger was well worth it. I feel that with the hunting pressure and increased traffic, would be hard pressed to go in a for a day hunt, might be better off trying for an overnighter and be ready already in deep.
I pick up my rifle today, plan to hit the range. see if there are any OTC tags left, or if this year is a practice only. Fine either way.
Good luck everyone.
-Robert

Sounds like a fun day. No D16 tags left. But you can get out and hunt coyote which is a great way to learn to hunt. Right now is the best time of year to call in dogs.

Was afraid I waited too long. Archery as well no longer available?

So what's the gig with coyotes? season, tags, etc...? I will have to adjust my research from Deer to dogs.
Originally in hunting for the meat aspect, plan is to eat what I kill, seems only natural. But with that said wouldn't mind expanding my horizons a bit to get experience.
Thanks,
-Robert

Was afraid I waited too long. Archery as well no longer available?

So what's the gig with coyotes? season, tags, etc...? I will have to adjust my research from Deer to dogs.
Originally in hunting for the meat aspect, plan is to eat what I kill, seems only natural. But with that said wouldn't mind expanding my horizons a bit to get experience.
Thanks,
-Robert

Archery Only (AO) tags are still available for use during the general deer season (buck only).

Coyotes are year round no limit. No night hunting during deer season though.

Recommend reading the regs through and through.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Archery Only (AO) tags are still available for use during the general deer season (buck only).

Coyotes are year round no limit. No night hunting during deer season though.

Recommend reading the regs through and through.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cool, might try my hand at the Archery tag then.
After posting checked regs, surprised to see open season on yotes, with the bleeding hearts of CA.

Grab a shotgun, rabbit, quail, euro doves. Turkey and pheasant open up this month.
Look for new spots and scout.
Except we are all passing up turkey this year because of drought. Few birds.

Also good ideas. Think I will try both, thanks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu