D16 opening day freezer trophy

davetheslave

May 17, 2014
Opening day burn hunt. Hunted am and saw a couple nice bucks, never got a clean shot so didn't shoot. Saw about 12 people and heard numerous volleys of rounds ahhhh d16 can feel mighty like a shooting range opening opening morning. Rested all day and headed out for evening hunt with my good huntin buddy. We hiked downhill into some old burn thicket and busted a nice group of deer. Took high ground knew there would be a little buck with all the does. Rested on a rock took a couple mins decided to take the shot. Quartering away and to the right. First shot missed high and before the deer even knew what was going on. Second shot dropped him clean. Right through the lungs. AR 223 64 grain razorback bullets. Gutted him there on the hill. Took off the feet. And started the sunset hike uphill to camp. Not a bone trophy by any means and I'm 100% behind my decision to shoot this tasty boy! I have diy hunted so cal public land for the last 4 years and have a 100% success. Now to see if my girlfriend can fill her d16 tag!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445872836.334237.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445872836.334237.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 61
Its 100% trophy in my books I have hunted D16 for 6 years and gotta nada. Althought I have lots of kids sports so its not like I give a 100% either. I am happy I just get out...

But getting closer --- Saw 4 does and 1 buck this weekend. Buck way off tried to get closer but spooked...

CONGRATS on the Backstraps...

Nice going Dave. He looks like a tasty and tender critter for sure.

Congrats.. interested to know more about deer hunting with your AR in 223.. have you taken many deer with it? Just wondered. No rifle tag for me this year, just bow, so wondering about how the 223 works out for u in the field.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu