D16 Question

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
I've got my rifle all sighted in, hunter safety out of the way, tags picked up and I'm ready to coyote hunt this weekend in McCain valley.

I do have a question though, I went ahead and picked up my D16 rifle tag just to do it. Can you only hunt bucks with rifles in California unless you win a G12 Draw?

Elcazador619 said:
McCain!!!GREAT memories 1989

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

shit hide that picture before it gets around social media as "ISIS Training camp"

While we are on the topic.

Are there regs on the buck antler maturity wise? Or shoot em if he's got em

No spikes. See definition of forked-horn below, which is the minimum for shooting an antlered deer.
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#351

Bonejour said:
No spikes. See definition of forked-horn below, which is the minimum for shooting an antlered deer.

Good call, was just looking at that too.

Is that normal nearly nationwide or are we just super stringent on the doe population

Macsteve said:
Bonejour said:

Is that normal nearly nationwide or are we just super stringent on the doe population

It seems like you are asking two things here....

1. Some states and or counties do allow harvesting of spike bucks. A lot have the fork or better rule though. The spike harvest would be more popular in areas with over population, think whitetails.

2. In CA they leave it up to the counties to approve doe hunts. It is a stupid non biological based rule. You should be happy that you even have the opportunity to do it in San Diego County. It may not last forever.

nicapopolis said:
Macsteve said:
Bonejour said:

It seems like you are asking two things here....

1. Some states and or counties do allow harvesting of spike bucks. A lot have the fork or better rule though. The spike harvest would be more popular in areas with over population, think whitetails.

2. In CA they leave it up to the counties to approve doe hunts. It is a stupid non biological based rule. You should be happy that you even have the opportunity to do it in San Diego County. It may not last forever.
Exactly. For example, in VA, statewide, you can take button bucks along with other non-antlered deer.
Overpopulated and a nuisance = huntable ... in most states

One more note about the antlers here in the west.....You do not count the eye guards.....I had a boy last year get his 1st buck here in California....He was from Mississippi......When I checked his tag he had marked that tag with a 3x3, when it was a forky (2 on each side, plus 2 eye guards).....Not a real big deal, BUT, get the wrong guy, and you'll have to do some explaining.

ilovesprig said:
One more note about the antlers here in the west.....You do not count the eye guards.....I had a boy last year get his 1st buck here in California....He was from Mississippi......When I checked his tag he had marked that tag with a 3x3, when it was a forky (2 on each side, plus 2 eye guards).....Not a real big deal, BUT, get the wrong guy, and you'll have to do some explaining.
Great point. The regs point out that the fork has to be in the upper two thirds of the main beam. Eye guards by definition are in the lower third, and do not count.

Oh wow. So you have to have it fork in the upper 2/3rds for it to be legal. So many rules. Go figure :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macsteve said:
Oh wow. So you have to have it fork in the upper 2/3rds for it to be legal. So many rules. Go figure :p

Yes.........And you must be able to hang a ring on that fork to make it legal......Here's a spike, forky......But if you look closely, there's actually 2 more hangable points on that spike. Which even without the fork on the right side, he would've been legal.....Sporks are quite common here in SoCal.

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    689.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 255.JPG
    255.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: Tybo16
ilovesprig said:
Macsteve said:

Yes.........And you must be able to hang a ring on that fork to make it legal......Here's a spike, forky......But if you look closely, there's actually 2 more hangable points on that spike. Which even without the fork on the right side, he would've been legal.....Sporks are quite common here in SoCal.

There's a deer in this pic?

lol.........Yep, my daughter.....And, if you look closely, there's a diamond ring hanging from the 2nd point.........She got married last Sunday.

Attachments

• stefi's wedding lll.jpg
    stefi's wedding lll.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 26
Jason,

I liked the vest & tie.......................lol

Attachments

• stefi's wedding llll.jpg
    stefi's wedding llll.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 26

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu