D16 tagged out. And buck number two.

turkeyman 85

Feb 24, 2014
IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1838.JPG So I got super lucky this year with filling my D16 tag. I didn't get to scout at all except for google earth. I've been looking at this place for years and actually hunted it once last year. This year I decided to hit it again anfter my go to spot didn't produce like last year. I didn't take one last year just cause I was being picky. It being so late in the season and not knowing if I can get back to hunt. It was forky time.
I hiked in about two miles(guessing) and got to a high point that was the wrong one I picked on google earth. Still I decided to stay out and glass and than move in a few hours down to the next vantage point. Glasses about two hours for nothing, saw some jacks and thought about taking one but passed. 20 minutes later I see what I thought was a coyote pop out at 200yards.
I look in the binos only to be surprised to see a forky buck. I scramble to get my binos off my tripod and get the rifle rested on it. I missed three times and connected on the fourth but it was a gut shot. I reload and was hitting him everywhere but the damn vitals. Sick to my stomach I finally bring him down. I bumped my rifle in Az on a coues deer hunt and must of jacked it up big time. Also I'm sure buck fever didn't help any. But I got him down and glad he didn't run off wounded and suffer. I learned a lesson from this buck. Never hunt with out checking your rifle after bumping it. Too make sure everything is perfect so I can my a clean shot.

Way to stay on it and get him on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Just had some backstraps from the SD buck and it was fantastic. Super tender and full of flavor. My favorite part of hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu