D16...

I borrowed it from the library and read it 3x. Unfortunately it's out of print, the sellers I found on eBay were asking a lot.

Expensive even in paperback, but available. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0873415639/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1416934931&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

D16 is just plain hard. I blanked for years but learned a lot, then couldn't miss for a while. Now I'm in the sporadic category. I learned a couple really good things for me:
Hunt straight up hills, like Very tough to climb toward good areas that others get to the easy way... If they are there, you'll catch them off guard, as long as you didn't spook them on the way.
And:
Burns near water are the best areas for me.
Deer in D16 have such overgrown brush that their trails have them Completely hidden, even standing, even moving. If there's Fresh scat they are there. You may need a buddy or two to help kick them up and moving.
But hey, I've been talkin, and yet I blanked this year too!
That's how it goes! For me anyway. Good hunting to you next year brother, and Bear is still open in The San Bernardinos !!! Get a tag !

here is the book...
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9780873415637&n=100121503&paratrk=&cm_sp=plp-_-9780873415637-_-used

I read this thread a week ago and was able to find a paper back copy on ebay. By far the best tool in my gear. After I read it one time I looked at all my pictures and I found a nice buck in one of them. Didn't see it when I took the picture. Now I know why it's so hard to be successful.

ivhunter said:
here is the book...
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9780873415637&n=100121503&paratrk=&cm_sp=plp-_-9780873415637-_-used
Funny that you mention this book I have like 20 dollars worth of fines on my library card from this book lol. It's a must read

chava714 said:
I read this thread a week ago and was able to find a paper back copy on ebay. By far the best tool in my gear. After I read it one time I looked at all my pictures and I found a nice buck in one of them. Didn't see it when I took the picture. Now I know why it's so hard to be successful.
I've had that happen before not seeing all the deer after talking a picture. I saw a big 4x3 while rabbit hunting 3 or 4 years ago and took a picture of him. I looked at the picture a few months ago and found another buck in the picture. I didn't see the big buck that I saw at first again until the opener that year............. in the back of someone's truck.

I hunted from 1997 to 2005 before I got my first deer in San Diego. When I had doe tags, I would see nothing. When I had only a buck tag, I would see only does. My brother drew a doe tag, and the Monday before season opened, he had does standing 30 yards away from him, paying him no mind. Season opened, and couldn't find a doe in any of the locations he had scouted! It's not easy on public land, especially if you haven't done a LOT of scouting. This year and last year, I got a D16 tag so I could introduce a friend to the sport. No matter what we tried last year, the only deer we saw were spotted after dark. This year, a doe ran across the road in front of us. The deer that appeared on the trail cam before the season were nowhere to be found during. It's tough!

D16 is always a hard hunt, but from what I've see there have been a good number of bucks taken this year more so the most years. It also helps that rifle season is during the rut, one of the few that are set up that way. Now for those who bow hunt it is a very hard hunt, but very rewarding when one does score..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu