D16...

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Well, another year, another unfilled tag. I'm bored of tag soup, thinking of grinding it up and making a quick bread.

This was my second year. I was only able to get out scouting twice and hunting for 6 days. All told I put in 50 hours and walked 30 miles. I think people who are 'successful' are putting in much more time than that. That's all I'm able to manage at the moment, so I just have to accept that might mean an unfilled tag in many cases.

I don't want to say I was unsuccessful; as everyone likes to say, just getting out there is winning. The time I spent in the field was rewarding. I learned lots, met people, and got lots of exercise and fresh air. But still an empty freezer and an unfilled tag are disappointing. This coming year I am going to buy and deploy some game cameras (force multiplier). I'm also thinking maybe some of that time should be spent out of state. We'll see.

Msteiger,

I have some extra elk meat if you would like some...I know it's not like getting your own game but just the same you are welcome to some.

The fact that you got out there and worked hard is a positive and gives you credibility. Six days, fifty hours and thirty miles is more than most folks are willing to put in. You will find that as you get more adapt to the local areas as well continuing to involve yourself with the networking that goes on around here, the harvest will become a little more frequent.

Again, hats off to you for your effort. Sounds like you had a great season.

X2 - I'm in the same boat brotha! Hunting/Hiking morning, noon, and night for a week and my father in law for 2 weeks. Not a single buck seen. Lots of does and lots of learning had. The Soup De Jour is Crem De Tag! ;)

8SteelTown said:
X2 - I'm in the same boat brotha! Hunting/Hiking morning, noon, and night for a week and my father in law for 2 weeks. Not a single buck seen. Lots of does and lots of learning had. The Soup De Jour is Crem De Tag! ;)

Strong work 8ST...

Thanks John and 8ST. Forgot to mention, saw does while scouting, but no deer at all while hunting. It was crazy...I must be scaring them off or something. Though I was always careful to hunt into the wind and spent a lot of time glassing from high places.

I am wondering (hoping) that the drought has been tough on them. Maybe in less dry years there is slightly more game out there???

John that's a very generous offer. I'll send you a pm, thanks!

Matt,

Always tough here in D-16.......It is dry and the big fires have all gave way to thick chaparral.....Whole new ball game in many areas.

When I hunted nothing but public. I was happy to just see deer. And of course, any legal buck went down........Just part of the dues being paid.......You'll get them next year. And if there's anyway I can help, please call or PM.

If you went into the outdoors and put in time, that is successful. Success isn't always about filling your tag. Keep at it, and you will get one!

Matt, I'm glad we got a chane to go out. Nothing shameful about putting time in. You're a sponge and ask good questions. You truly just need to find your niche and one day, BAM! It all comes together.i only public land hunt. I spend more hours with a map in my hand than most. I also contribute a lot of my success to the amout of man hours I put in predator hunting. Every spot I know for deer hunting comes from that. I gave you some meat, if you need/want more do let me know.

Bobby

Hey guys. It's really nice to hear that everyone struggles at first and I'm not just a moron. Hunting is hard. Anyone who says 'it's not fair to the animal' is wrong. It's freaking fair.

Thanks also for all the offers to help. Hunting 1 day with Bobby this year increased my knowledge by at least a factor of 10. I'm really enjoying engaging this community and hope to meet others and continue to learn.

I don't know what the exact successful hunter percentage is out here in San Diego ( some on here knows) but I do know that it is not very much at all. I have not had much success here 1 deer/3 years. Only seen a few legal bucks. It takes time and hard work to jul SD deer, sounds like you are putting many miles and hours in. You will be rewarded eventually. Stick to it!

I feel your pain. Didnt connect this year on D16. Had some very unique experiences this year and came close a few times but luck didnt fall my way. I think being unsuccessful gives me even more motivation to work harder next year. Keep at it and you'll get there!

Most buy a tag and hunt opening day then never come back. It takes years to get the bucks down to where you can fill your tag every year.....6-12% is the harvest numbers.

Just spend more time in the field and it will happen you'll find a spot with time.......it sounds like you may need some more info on deer behavior. Another thought call the deer biologist for our area and talk with them.......good luck

It has been a tough year with the drought atleast in the lower elevation areas that I love to hunt. I put in over 100 hours and 100 miles on my boots since since archery opened into rifle. I was going Big but did not have much opportunity on smaller deer ither. Some times it just dont happen. Keep at it do not get discouraged things can go from 0 to100! For you real quick. Now is a great time to keep hunting. Lots of bucks will start to show there selves as the pressure from the hunters winds down. You can get and idea of what is in your area that may be just didnt show because of all the pressure. Get a bon cat tag and coyotes are always open. Some of the biggest deer I have seen in D-16 was a week or more after the season closed. Keep tabs on them when you do find them.

I was hesitant to post an unfilled tag report, because I don't want to complain and it's less interesting than a filled tag. As I watched the people I knew filling their tags I felt happy for them, but progressively worse about my own season. But I was talking to Breacher he assured me that even veterans can have multiple down years in a row.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in with their un-successes as well. It makes a noob feel a bit better.

Hunted my butt off in G10 and no venison in the freezer this year. Only say does and not one buck!! Had one shot but it was not a good one so I did not take it. Second guessing myself now. But at least I did not wound one and not find it. So maybe next year. I feel your pain. Just not a good year hoping for rain this winter!!

Breacher is right, one year you may fill zero tags, next year you might tag out in the first two weeks of your season. Never know man. Like I've said before, not filling your tag, either makes you quit or go back stronger. I'm not the best hunter, but I sure do scout a lot, and research. I have so many maps printed off from Google earth, me my buddies sit down for hours on our computers just pointing out canyons we want to hike, or looking for spring areas, etc.. Public land deer hunting is hard, and you have to make your luck.
Goodluck to you next year!

Taft,

You are spot on brother. It takes a lot of work to have a successful hunt. But I learned a lot this year and will use the knowledge for next year. I will go back stronger and not quit!

Matt

For those who may have missed it, here is a great thread from last year. The book recommended is extremely useful. Matt and I started hunting SoCal mule deer at about the same time, and the insights offered in that discussion helped several of us inexperienced hunters understand better how to do it.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4793

Bonejour said:
For those who may have missed it, here is a great thread from last year. The book recommended is extremely useful. Matt and I started hunting SoCal mule deer at about the same time, and the insights offered in that discussion helped several of us inexperienced hunters understand better how to do it.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4793

I went out and bought that book because of that thread, great read. Highly recommended for anyone who is getting serious about hunting Mule Deer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu