D7 Hunting Partner

kmnoh19

Jul 19, 2020
Hey all, I'm new here and stumbled onto this forum. I'm on the lookout for a potential hunting buddy from Orange County, or nearby, with a D7 tag this year.

This will be my third hunting season, second season for deer. I had a few friends that got me into hunting a few years ago and we usually go as a group. We got split up to different zones after we did not get the zone we applied for and couldn't agree on an alternative one that was left over after the draw. A couple of them went with D8 and I got a second tag for there but I feel like D7 is more promising. I'm planning on a couple of scouting trips then day hiking into D7 during the season, into areas with no road access and hopefully away from the crowds (5-10+ miles), or hike in and camp if I can find someone to go with. Anyone up for hiking into D7 from the Bishop side?

Reactions: Johnny3388
K-19,

Welcome to SCH...D-7 from the Bishop side is a serious hike, but the reward can be tremendous...Good luck.

.View attachment 44988
Thank you for the welcome and the good luck wishes. That is a promising picture. I've been camping, fishing, and hiking in the Sierras my whole life. I've only recently pulled the trigger and gotten into hunting (pun intended).

I've been planning this season for some time now. I have a few ideas of where to camp and go on day hike hunts but from the looks of things and my experience last year in D9... set up game cameras, went on untraveled roads, saw 10-15 bucks and a bear on the cameras, not seeing people for hours: I thought I had a good spot planned, then on opening weekend it was packed and there was no game to be found. I can do the hiking and the overnight camping but I feel like I need to adventure out further to get a buck that I'd proud of (one guy shot a SMALL forkie not far from our camp in D9 and even as a first deer for myself, I would've passed). My only reservation is being out that far alone... I have a garmin with satallite sos and text so my fiance and I are not worried about me getting out if I get injured, but it's a lot to pack in alone... 30+lbs of hunting gear on top of several days of back-country gear. Not to mention packing everything out if I get one.

I'll probably do the day hikes on opening weekend, but, if I don't get one, I just reserved a wilderness permit to hike in and camp from the eastern sierra side for a couple of days on Oct. 9th. I'm ok with going alone but the pack-in/pack-out help would be great if I find someone to come with, and I would gladly help with the same if whomever I find filled their tag.

Sorry, I'm really new to forums.... I wanted to post an edit to ask if the picture was from a crossing into D7 from Bishop area or the Mammoth area?

A close friend did this hunt by himself...It took 2 trips to get the buck out and then went back to get his tent, gear, etc. out...Send me a PM for details.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu