Dad's Birthday Buck

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Well it was an awesome birthday hunt with pops and he was lucky enough to score an awesome D16 buck. It all started when a friend pointed me in the direction a public land spot holding some deer. After hours of planning and reviewing maps we were ready. The alarm went off at 2:30 am and I couldn't have rolled out of bed any faster. After recently filling my tag it was just dad with the rifle today. I was told this would be a rough hike but "rough" was an understatement. We got to the trail head around 4:30 am and began our expedition taking many breaks and periods of testing our agility. Eventually after over an hour of hiking vertical, rocky, thick terrain we arrived at our intended spot. It was a perfect wind right at our face and blowing hard. Within no time we spotted a doe feeding up the opposite side of the meadow we were glassing and right behind her was a big bodied deer. As soon as he reached a clearing my dad and I both said "BIG BUCK" at the same time. Dad got on his rifle and within no time there was a beautiful D16 buck on ground. After that the real fun began. Being a day hunt and not really knowing the terrain neither of us had packs suitable for packing out the deer. Needless to say it was a long drag. Over 3 hours later were back at the truck and I think we will both sleep well tonight.

.DSC01597.JPG DSC01609.JPG DSC01618.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, I'm super stoked for you and your dad. That's a welledesrves buck for him. I'm sure happy that I was able to give you some good info that paid off well. Definitely should get that buck mounted.

Holy smokes that's a great D16 buck! Congrats to you and your dad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the buck to your dad and yourself. Thanks for sharing the memory.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu