Damn farmers Almanac

CAL'NDN

Apr 18, 2020
Final got her wet on her maiden voyage. Got up 5 after a long work week took the 30 min drive up icehouse in the sierras launched 7: 30 am and peddled non stop till 1:30 pm. Only got 1 12 inch baby rainbow and one real good take down and another lost behind the boat. Still great day with the fresh clean mountain air and water marked a lot of fish in quite a few places and coverd the whole lake a few times. Ran mostly leadcore with all normal flashers , crawlers , rapalas. spoons. dodgers, flat fish and few other things, couldn't get them to cooperate this time and I usually do up there about this time with plenty of double hook ups but the damn farmers Almanac was right again! Tomorrow suppose to be good with monday being the best day. The one landed and lost on 2 colors of lead with mini flashers and crawler combo the really nice slam take down coming on topline rapala. Sorry no pic of the rainbow but he did swallow the crawler and is on ice.
Always next time and can't get em if you don't try. Had a nice bald eagle circle around for awhile but the pictures didn't turn out. Untill next time bent rods and straight shots to all.

Ps I sure hope I can walk tomorrow because I might head up monday if the wife dont need me. 20200523_114141.jpg20200523_114141.jpg20200523_114141.jpg

No it wasn't bad at all boat or yak traffic wise. When got back to the launch the last time there were quite a few people with coolers all over the banks. Loon can be extremely windy up at the top that's why I dont yak it so be safe. Ice house will only be getting better here on out once there in the 3vto 5 color range is when I nail them. They were not quite there and very lethargic today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WaterDog
Oh btw the lake is so low for this time of year. Me and the cousin at the launch and you can see in the background how low.
ae793a1b8cca8707f40eb412ded7442a.jpg

You are right, it looks pretty low for this early in the year. And I had forgot about the afternoon winds up at loon. I like loon cause it’s so darn pretty but I’ll stick with ice house.
keep the reports coming, I want to see a limit on your stringer.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Ok sounds good. Yes the boulders and every thing up there is truly beautiful.

Hey Wdog not sure if your bringing the boat or kayak if its kayak make sure to bring the old lead core.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
It’ll be a kayak. I haven’t used lead core for 40 years. I don’t remember much about it. I have a bunch of questions about lead core which I’ll post up in a day or so. I sold my beautiful boat so now it’ll be me and my kayak. I got a lot of learning to do.

Last edited:
I just use abu's and medium Berkeley agility rods I already had the reels got 2 spools of lead off Amazon then went down to sportsman's and got the 2 rods and the guys in the fishing department spooled them up for free with 30 yards I think it was of top shot. They knew what they were doing.

Never used pink lady ran a dodger with various offerings they just were not interested. This time.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
nice day out , thanks for sharing.
ever heard of pink ladies, deepdivers, work for silver salmon ?
added doger in front and attached after the pink ladies with small squid jigs, but any lure.

Many years ago before I had downriggers I use to use things like pink lady’s. What I didn’t like about them is that they created a lot of water resistance. I like using lite tackle for trout and trolling with pink lady’s was like towing a log at the end of my line. I’ve never trolled from a kayak before but I’m going to start out with lead core and see how that goes.
I like Vances tackle, quality stuff. I have a couple of his spiral wrap rods, some of his dodgers and other Vance tackle. I’ve met Vance a few times, great guy. He use to be a guide (I don’t think he guides any longer) and he really knows his trout and salmon fishing.

Thanks for that info @WaterDog.
We tried heavy weights and it wasn't getting deep enough. Outriggers of course the best. There are cons with pink ladies.
We were using a small rental skiff.
Had to troll very slow. What was a pro soon as there was a jig strike pink ladies has a release mechanism that causes it to go to the surface
And there is no tension on the line except
The fish. Like a light weight.
I thought maybe it would be good for small boats or kayak.

Never used pink lady ran a dodger with various offerings they just were not interested. This time.

Hi @CAL'NDN
The dodger flashes in the water then attracts the fish then they see the bait.
And bite it.
I would suggest like every tool trick maybe worth a try. To get deeper.
Our weights were not getting deep enough were the fish were.

Lucky for us my brothers friend had xtras, we would of caught more fish, he caught his limit. Fishing the channel between the islands. Very cool back then we went bear hunting and trout fishing.

I run dodgers with leadcore line with a variety of yummy little offerings on 1 rod . And usually mini flashers with crawler in the second. I have a variety of both in the yak at all times. The leadcore line gets me down about 7 foot per color right at my finger tips at all times dodgers, flashers, plugs, spoons and hundred other lil yummy offerings.
5f6ba8551c9ea3e2b8aa99f42a1d0b24.jpg

Part 2 only 2 and lost 2 lost a nice one but got 2 red meat cold water holdovers dinner will be good tomorrow, wife making chicken parmesan tonight so trout is on menu next. Cousin got 1 lost 2 on top water trolling mice tail with a split shot. I got all my action 2 colors down with mini flasher and half of crawler. Nice day of mountain social distancing. RIP to all the heroes out there who have gave there life so we can have the best country there is thank you all. AND LOVE YOU DAD MISS YOU AND YOU WERE AND ALWAYS WILL BE MY HERO VETERAN..... Here a couple pictures and one of my dads spent shell on the mantle from his 21 gun salute on his final resting day.

Tight lines and straight shots to all, untill next time.
ecafa7c5ff03a2d259c4665f60f20130.jpg
9351527d503b00d12e56db5ec28b8de5.jpg
4dc52855b365f05478d035361e25fd03.jpg
8f02c123dd26e48f18208839f93e00d7.jpg
83df0ae7ba5f586ec008472288360045.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu