Damn shame!

Irvine

Oct 28, 2011
came across recent road kill d-16

.image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the 3rd big buck I know that was killed via car......Just for every ones knowledge.......It is illegal in the great state of Commiefornia to pick up, remove, or cut off antlers of game killed by a vehicle.

Bummer for sure, but this happens when the boys go lookin' for girls......:heart_eyes:

Last edited:
That'sthe3rd big buck I know that was killed via car......Just for every ones knowledge.......It is illegal in the great state of Commiefornia to pick up, remove, or cut off antlers of game killed by a vehicle.

Bummer for sure, but this happens when the boys go lookin' for girls......:heart_eyes:
Funny you say that Steve.... Came across a buck dead on side of road. Didnt even know it was a buck at first until I pulled over to inspect and saw that the antlers were sawed off.....

Yep.......One in front of the Wild Animal Park the other day with the same result.......This law includes turkeys as well.

I remember, either my hunter safety course or the kids, the instructor was talking about this topic. He said it is illegal to do anything with the carcass since the warden will technically have to take it as "evidence".

However, if one so wishes, you can report it to DFW and have a warden inspect it. Then you can use a valid deer tag and claim it as yours. (if you're into that kind of thing)

Not sure if that info was or still is correct. I never looked into the validity of it.

My friend is a truck driver and always spots them killed by side of road. He tells me one of these days he will pull over and pull the back straps off of one.

It is unfortunate that CA does not allow the pick up of roadkill, but a lot of states don't to my understanding.

Here in CO he is going in the back of the truck. I just call the warden within 2 days and they are supposed to come and inspect. There is a clause that you have to turn over the trophy portions if requested (i.e. hide and antlers) but I have also heard that you are supposed to get them back as well. The term "trophy" for the antlers is at their discretion. I picked up a 150's buck earlier this year and the warden didn't even bother to look at it.

This one now sits as a garden ornament.

.20160726_060607.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you say that Steve.... Came across a buck dead on side of road. Didnt even know it was a buck at first until I pulled over to inspect and saw that the antlers were sawed off.....
I think I saw the same deer... near jamul?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu