Darn tough or Smartwool?

We dong double knot, the way we deal with the untying lace problem is by flipping the sock down and over the laces...never have to worry about the laces coming undone that way.

Yeah... but you just said you're using super tall boots though. Most folks are gonna be in the 8" range, thereabouts. So that "trick" won't apply.

I've blistered out my feet several times. From soft foot to dead. I'm currently around a worn thick leather consistency. Also my feet run hot, may skip liners

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just like the socks... the liners have their brands that work and don't work good also man. At the very least, buy yourself 2 pair of the FoxRiver liners, just so you can say you tried them. I'm telling you... directly... you WILL be able to hike longer with the combo of the FoxRiver liner and Darn Tough than with just the Darn Tough alone. And that's saying something because Darn Tough's are like the Cadillac of socks man.

Reactions: Hiryuu
I wear SmartWool liners and socks in my Kenetreks. Highly recommend it. As others have said, the cheap boots are really a waste unless you plan on upgrading soon and relegate this pair for gardening or something. I don't skimp with my feet on long hikes.

Reactions: TRICER
I wear SmartWool liners and socks in my Kenetreks. Highly recommend it. As others have said, the cheap boots are really a waste unless you plan on upgrading soon and relegate this pair for gardening or something. I don't skimp with my feet on long hikes.
Yes. The boots are very short term. Socks are easier to buy online then boots/shoes

Oh... and DEFINITELY get the PEET's Boot Dryer! Before I got that device... I could NEVER completely get the smell out of my boots (I have a very sensitive nose for a human). Every single time now.. when I come back... I just hose my boots inside then out... put 'em on the PEET's boot dryer. The next day... you take 'em off... stuff your nose deep down into your boot... BOOM, It's All good!
We get boot dryers at my work on occasion. I'll look into getting one.

Reactions: TheGDog
Yeah... but you just said you're using super tall boots though. Most folks are gonna be in the 8" range, thereabouts. So that "trick" won't apply.
When did I say "super tall" ? Please do put words in my mouth, why do you assume i'm not in the 8" range? Maybe my "trick" wont apply to you but it might work for someone willing to try.

Last edited:
...I hike a LOT for work and the socks are holding up really well, Plus I hike in tall leather boots and spend up to 18 hr in my boots during the fire season...

This... is where I got that information from. See the part I bolded in the text above. Looking at any catalogs it is very apparant that 6"-8" is the norm... so when you say "tall" my understanding would be taller than standard 8". If I misunderstood, sorry.

Darn tuff socks make my feet stink. Wool socks from REI are my favorite for the summer. My wife bought some thick wool socks from dicks for the winter

This one has some potential.......

Merino wool is not your average wool.....it wicks

Liners normally wick they don't add heat and can cut down on blisters.

I like thick socks, with smart feet insole in my "backpacking" boots. If I'm doing lots of miles for 3+ days I'll use liners to stretch my sock funk!

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
MJB, To each his own so I respect what you are saying but for me just a new set everyday or wash them before putting them back on has got me through the years. merino is good stuff but just too hot for me, everyone is different so find what works for you. That's my best suggestion as well as to not rely on what you read on a forum as gospel. Test yourself and see what makes it happen. I chewed my feet up back in the 70's and 80's figuring it out..

Reactions: MJB
Big 5....don't unless you are planning on seating all day. I don't think they are even worth it.

Wool in so Cal ? I don't get it, Too much heat retention which leads to too much moisture and then blisters and skin shedding. Your feet need to breath to survive. Just my opinion..
I've gone through a few types and the Merino wool actually does feel cooler to me, with fewer blisters. I used to wear Thorlo and REI poly-blend hiking socks but eventually settled on the SmartWool (which are only like 45% wool plus a blend of nylon, etc.) and haven't looked back.

Reactions: TRICER
YES!! Their REI brands SUCK! Get sweaty and wet inside and turn into basically sandpaper/emery-cloth rubbing you raw!

Hrmm... sounds like I may try to put a couple SmartWools into the rotation for those exceptionally Hot days. Thanks.

I like the low-style/hidden-style Thorlon's for their Gym shoes socks. They're good for Treadmill/Elliptical work. Although I've recently started using the Balega's now for that type of stuff. They seem to last longer before getting all Whoa'd-out and losing elasticity from repeated washings/use.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu