Dealing with chaparral

StayTheCourse

Feb 17, 2020
Temecula
Hey guys, I new to hunting down here in SoCal, I got into hunting while going to Boise State and I hunted in Idaho for a few seasons and moved back down here and I’m wanting to get back out hunting. My biggest thing is dealing with all the chaparral and how thick and loud it is, I bow hunt so I need to get close and so I’m just wondering how you guys deal with the chaparral and all the loud shrubs and putting on a stalk or at least moving without letting every deer within a mile know. Thanks guys.
Ryan

Walk around it mostly.. I try to find deer trails to use or take creative paths like up and around to get where I need to go. Sometimes I'll cut a path with a machete while pre-season scouting. Other times if I've got the deer timed I'll just blaze through the brush knowing they're not around yet so I can get setup where I want to be before they move into the area.

chaparral to my opinion is hard to hunt. best like SurfNHunt said, look and study the terrain, try to approach the highest point you can get.
then scan the surrounding areas with glass, but while scouting look for sign, tracks and scat. look lots of sign, look for bedding areas, and feeding areas,
after the first day of deer season, until the rut deer will head for cover, thick rough terrain. don't waste your time trying to stock in chaparral the deer while hear you a mile away.
they will general stay put if they don't feel threaten, don't chase them, pick a high point with in bow range and sit tight.
that's the only reason I like the high country with pines, easier walking, recommend a tree stand, or natural blind, or even a ground blind.
when hunting I will walk the ridges of mountains, and glass way in front of me. in hot weather deer don't like to move, they will bed down in the shade,
or thick cover, look in shady areas, or lots of cover, use quality glass and look for parts of the deer, my favorite is those big ears, or white spots, or antlers..
then magically you will see it. stare at areas with patience, watch an area for hours.
most important of all keep the wind in your face, so they don't pick up your scent.
I did a test long ago when I was youg, watching two does below me about a 75 yards, I snap a twig even so lighty.
when I broke it they looked right at me but I was well hidden and did not move.
if you don't move, they have a hard time seeing you.
they first try to scent you, hear you then look for movement. those three senses.

Hey guys, I new to hunting down here in SoCal, I got into hunting while going to Boise State and I hunted in Idaho for a few seasons and moved back down here and I’m wanting to get back out hunting. My biggest thing is dealing with all the chaparral and how thick and loud it is, I bow hunt so I need to get close and so I’m just wondering how you guys deal with the chaparral and all the loud shrubs and putting on a stalk or at least moving without letting every deer within a mile know. Thanks guys.
Ryan
Finding burn areas is one way to avoid thick chaparral. Another way is to hunt at higher elevations. For example, in D14 the lower elevations have real thick chaparral but if you drive to higher elevations the brush is thinner.

Reactions: StayTheCourse
Awesome thanks for responding guys, I’ve never really explored central/eastern San Diego county before and I felt like it’s just chaparral everywhere so I’m just trying to figure out where I can go and just felt a little overwhelmed by how much terrain is covered by it and from coming back from Idaho where basically the whole state is public land and land that can hold game it’s just a different ball game down here

Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu