Decoy paint

badyellowdog

Apr 19, 2015
Anybody have any advice on what paint to get to touch up some decoys? I know there's some kits online but they are very bird specific. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Here are my paints. All but black, water based........All bought at Wal-Mart.........Seem to stick to the decoy plastics well........Just finished up about 5 dozen specks, 3 dozen sprig, and a bunch of widgeon...... ;)

I also use Wal-Mart's spray paint......Camo brown, .96 cent flat black, & white.

ps.......Maybe we should have a paint party on Sunday too......We can get high on fumes...... :D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    664.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the info sprig, I have some snows that I need to touch up and a couple of other ducks that need some love. I also have some foam shells that are a little faded I know the spray paint will eat through the foam, any thoughts on those? Also have you had any issues withthe finish? As in any shine left from the paint? Painting party sounds like a productive way to spend a sunday.

I guess it depends on the foam, but I've had no problems with the newer spray paints on Feather-Flex or Farm Form decoys......Both foam material......I know old Herter's Styrofoam decoys had a problem.....They're antiques nowadays..... ;)

I try to use flat paints, but I do use satin finish for heads......Especially mallards......If they're a little too shiny. I just rub with my hand or light steel wool......Wister mud makes them un-shiny real quick too...... ;D

Wister mud will do that, thanks again for the info and we will definitely have to have a decoy party soon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu