Decoys

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
How many decoys are you guys running out at the Wiz this time of year? I’ve got 5dz Ibring our and pending on the blind I usually start with 3-5dz and usually pull some in throughout the hunt. I’m wondering if usually <12 may be beneficial?

Hunting the Wiz with buddies this season it's between about 2-3 dozen.. when I hunt by myself on the Sea it's 1 dozen. Always thinking about scaling back to maybe 6-8 dekes with movement. What's your thought?

Typically hunt 2 dozen or less. Depends on how the ducks are reacting to my initial set up. I will take decoys out or add more and shift my pattern. I want them coming in feet first. You have to make adjustments. Much will depend on the area I am hunting and the type of ducks that I know are in.

John

I used 18 decoys last year and the ducks dropped right in when I had good draws. This summer I bought 12 shovelers so I’ll be around 24 or 30 decoys this year depending on whether I take all of them. I also used six full body mallards last season at Wister and San Jacinto, around my blind on dry ground and in the water. The ducks didn’t have a problem with them so I’ll probably keep using them.

My usual theory, and this goes for mostly December and early January, is to always have a bigger spread than the neighboring blinds, which is why I always bring out around 5-6dz floaters and a dz full bodies. But I’m thinking of maybe using 12 or less and spread them out. I’ve had big spreads and have seen birds cupped up into neighboring blinds without anyone calling. Could it be they’re just on the X for that day? Maybe. But maybe only a couple decoys this time of year looks more natural. Only the ducks will know. @ilovesprig ? What’s your input?

12-18 GWT, 6 shovelers & either 3 mallard or Pintail. But that's just what I can fit on my kayak. Definitely seems like a smaller spread is more effective late in the season

My usual theory, and this goes for mostly December and early January, is to always have a bigger spread than the neighboring blinds, which is why I always bring out around 5-6dz floaters and a dz full bodies. But I’m thinking of maybe using 12 or less and spread them out. I’ve had big spreads and have seen birds cupped up into neighboring blinds without anyone calling. Could it be they’re just on the X for that day? Maybe. But maybe only a couple decoys this time of year looks more natural. Only the ducks will know. @ilovesprig ? What’s your input?

Much depends on where you're hunting...Rule of thumb is, big water, big spread (4+ dozen)...Small water, small spread (2 dozen or less).

And big water is a relative term...Big water can be Lake Henshaw, the sea, or Mystic Lake, but it can also mean the biggest open water at Wister or San J...Hunted a spot at Wister Saturday that had nice open water on the westside and semi choked on the east side...The ducks wanted the eastside...20+ mph winds might have factored in here.

Small water is a pothole or an area that has very little open water...Normally, there's no reason to fill a small area with decoys...You've already have the ducks pinned into a confined spot (here's where good calling can help).

Our ducks are pretty species specific...Teal land with teal, widgeon land with widgeon, spoonies like spoonies, etc...If you're using a mallard call...Then I've always liked having at least a pair of mallard decoys that are very visible...We're only allowed 1 pintail...So, I see no reason to put more than 6 pintail decoys out (separated from the rest)...They are very white...So, there is the sight factor for other ducks (same with spoonie drakes)...If you're hunting a spot that is known for widgeon...Then widgeon decoys should be used...Multiple species, Multiple decoys (separated)

Another factor on big water is decoys that are very visible...The white of pintail, spoons, canvasbacks drakes, etc. can be seen from long distances...Later in the season, and this goes against nature somewhat (drakes get brighter) is using decoys that are darker...Gadwalls, G & H pintails hens, or even coots can be effective.

IMO movement is the key in all these factors...Ducks are rarely stationary...Hence, why windy days can be better for folks that don't use movement...If you don't use some movement, tuck your decoys next to brush or tulies...When they do rest, it's normally tight to structure.

Lots of variables (books are written about stuff like this...LOL), but experience will give you a feel for what is needed in each location you hunt...Good luck

.san j 11-6-10 010.JPGwister 12-11-10 007.JPGhenshaw 1-29-11 009.JPGsan j 1-4-12 002.JPGhenshaw 12-1-12 003.JPG

Okay skybusters. Keep shooting that high. Try not to be an ethical Hunter. Nothing like having ducks come down on you feet down heads up. That's why I always hunt the lake when it's there at SJ.... sorry I don't mean to go off I'm just done with the skybusting. I know there's some good Hunters on this forum board. I just wish some of the new guys would learn when to shoot and when not to shoot. I tried to give them advice and they just don't listen.

Okay skybusters. Keep shooting that high. Try not to be an ethical Hunter. Nothing like having ducks come down on you feet down heads up. That's why I always hunt the lake when it's there at SJ.... sorry I don't mean to go off I'm just done with the skybusting. I know there's some good Hunters on this forum board. I just wish some of the new guys would learn when to shoot and when not to shoot. I tried to give them advice and they just don't listen.
Lol love when the geese or big ducks are flying over like 200 yards up and guys take a shot.

When advice on decoy placement for getting them in close results in ideas about sky busting and shooting a swing as alternatives to doing it right, welcome to duck shooting v duck hunting. Hard to hunt with shooters in your pond.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu