deer calling

I am originally from Idaho and never even considered calling deer. It was all open country and spot and stalk is king. I thought calling was for whitetail hunters. But since moving here I have tried repeatedly to get one into shooting range (archery) with calls of all sorts. I have them turn and stare but nothing to actually persuade them to taking a dirt nap. I would love any suggestions! I have a Primos can call, a primos mule deer grunter and a come-mer-deer (not sure how to spell that).

I have called in several bucks with the Primos can, but only during the rut! Brought one in on a string last year and if I had adjusted for the deep downward angle, he would have been chillin' in the freezer instead of bouncing away...

Drewski2324 said:
I am originally from Idaho and never even considered calling deer. It was all open country and spot and stalk is king. I thought calling was for whitetail hunters. But since moving here I have tried repeatedly to get one into shooting range (archery) with calls of all sorts. I have them turn and stare but nothing to actually persuade them to taking a dirt nap. I would love any suggestions! I have a Primos can call, a primos mule deer grunter and a come-mer-deer (not sure how to spell that).

Drewski

I am a still hunter or spot & stalk. normally I keep quite. so I am not much help here. I was fishing seeing how many hunters have actually tried this technique.
from the videos I see it as a viable solution. after the morning and nothing is moving. try it before getting off the spot or the stand. I know for a fact for turkey's, you can actual chase them away if the calling is wrong. Deer I imaging can be the same.

LBH2

Socalhntr said:
I have called in several bucks with the Primos can, but only during the rut! Brought one in on a string last year and if I had adjusted for the deep downward angle, he would have been chillin' in the freezer instead of bouncing away...
Socal

thanks for the reply.

LBH2

I have used rattle horns and a grunt tube before with some success and a doe bleat also works fairly well during the rut also.

Rattled in a very nice D16 buck 2 years ago. It works. This buck came in full steam!

NBK said:
Rattled in a very nice D16 buck 2 years ago. It works. This buck came in full steam!

before my other partner left town, he too rattled a buck in on AO tag.

Bonejour

you are wellcome.

You know guys It always a learning curve. I will keep an open mind on rattling, deer fawn distress, & grunting calls.
because my legs are getting weaker as I grow older. I need to think smarter instead of working harder. I will spot & stalk as long as I can
but I am starting to bow hunt with a stand. it's easier on the body. and I like to mix it up and try new Ideas.
It's not all about hunting. I like the fresh air, watching the wildlife. getting exercise. and , and if I get lucky I get fill the freezer.

also how about using deer scent or doe estrus.

I like more hunters to jump in there & help out.

Years ago, I bought a call for mule deer, and used to carry it with me. It had a grunt for bucks, and you can flip it around to an adjustable reed for doe or fawn bleats. One day, I came upon a doe and two fawns at 100 yards. I had archery equipment, and wouldn't be able to get any closer. So I started blowing a fawn bleat. One of those yearling fawns came in to 50 yards! There was a log laying across the meadow, and it wouldn't come in past that log, but it was an exhilarating experience.

In one particular coyote/quail hunting area I frequent, there is a spot where I've had does respond to the jackrabbit distress calls no fewer than 3 times, probably more. On one particularly memorable occasion, I had a kid with me, and I called two does out of the riverbed, to 25 yards before they became wary and took off. Too bad it wasn't deer season. I'm sure it was as much of an unforgettable experience for the kid as it was for me.

On another occasion, I spotted a couple does just before dark, about 50 yards away. The were alerted to my presence, and were about to bolt. I thought I would try to calm them down with a distress call- bad idea! They took off instantly.

It's off-topic, but I also have a story about rattling for whitetail. Last Thanksgiving, I was in a treestand in Wyoming. The property owner had some antlers tied to the tree for rattling, so when I saw a little buck, I tried some rattling- it ran in the opposite direction, across the road and into another field. Oh well. A little while later, a pheasant flew by, and landed about 20 yards from the treestand, so I thought I would turn around and see if I could get a shot off. After 15 minutes or so of standing with my back to the field and my face toward the tree/creek, I heard something below me. I turned around, and that buck was standing there eyeballing me! He busted out of the willows and into the field, and stopped and looked at me for a moment, then took off! Then I got a series of text messages telling me that a buck was headed straight for me. The ladies in the house had gotten up for breakfast, and had seen the whole debacle develop. That buck had made a beeline straight for my tree when my back was turned, and they had done everything they could, short of opening the door and shouting across the field at me, to bring it to my attention! I didn't have a buck tag anyway, but that was fun and humbling at the same time. What a dope I must have looked like!

Ive hit the primos can a few times. Had deer pop there heads up or look in the direction of the sound but never had them come in closer.

EM, Those were some great stories. When I was a kid my dad brought home an orphaned Whitetail fawn. We raised her till she was an adult. If you think you know what "browsers" eat, you should have seen her put away my mom's macaroni and cheese! We finally gave her to a farmer when she became too much of a nuisance. She could clear the 7-foot fence we built, from a standing start. Anyway I got pretty good at imitating her various bleats. LBH2's videos had me doing karaoke!

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

A few years back my brother and I were hunting in Michigan there was a doe and a old fawn with her in a field about 300 yds away. (It was late December ) I used a fawn bleat and the doe came running and stopped just before the treeline an I got her. Then I commenced to use a doe bleat and the fawn came running and I hve the gun to my brother and he shot the fawn. It was his first deer those are the only deer I have called. But it was great to be with my bro when got his first deer. I think he was 15.

LBH2, I can't get the audio. Will try to go to the link directly.

Sent from my iPhone
...expect bizarre spelling errors

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu