Deer Calls

Juan

Jul 10, 2017
For the people that hunted D16 before, do any of you use deer calls ( i.e. Buck calls, Antlers, doe calls) here in San Diego county?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juan,

Just messing around on private prop, I've had little bucks come in to see what all the commotions about (rattling)...I personally have never heard these deer grunt, snort yes...And that's when they've been down wind and made us.

Reactions: Juan
Never tried it myself but friends claim rattling works to some extent. I've got a bunch of sheds, I may give it a try this year.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to try it out

I have used the deer stopper. It a fawn in distress.

It has stopped a few deer others have ignored it and kept going. Last year I saw a doe and two fawns blew the call and the fawns came running back but moma was not fooled.

Shot a buck after I bumped him and he stopped and that gave me enough time to get off a clean shot.

Never tried calling one in with it.

Reactions: Dawnandusk and Juan
I have used the deer stopper. It a fawn in distress.

It has stopped a few deer others have ignored it and kept going. Last year I saw a doe and two fawns blew the call and the fawns came running back but moma was not fooled.

Shot a buck after I bumped him and he stopped and that gave me enough time to get off a clean shot.

Never tried calling one in with it.

Thanks gonna check it out.

Reactions: msailor
for you guys with either sex hunts, I have had enormous luck with fawn / rabbit distress calls. but mostly in the beginning of the season.
draws the does right to you...
my old partner had some luck with rattling with the sticks.. they sell in a bag.. you could make it.
I have never had luck with the mule deer grunting calls that's about it.

I was able to get a doe and walk 10 yards closer to me using a single fawn distress. using the extinguisher deer call.

I sometimes use a grunt when I'm walking in loud ground.

I have used both the Deer Talk Deer Stopper Call, and a rattling Bag, have gotten deer up out of their beds with them but have never had any come in from using them.

Fawn in distress while predator hunting brings the does in snorting.
I have called in a few does and a small buck with the primos buck can and a rattle bag. I only call or rattle like ever 20-30 minutes. It’s kind of fun and keeps me from being bored. I hate sitting in a blind.
Oh and @ilovesprig can probably confirm this but does can’t resist a good hen call in the spring.

Reactions: ilovesprig and Juan
I've sometimes had buck walk in... in response to the Primos Uproar Buck Grunt part of that call. IF you get that call you gotta watch several youtube vids so you can hear examples of how Mule Deer Bucks do doe-tending grunts....or grunts that aren't threatening, but kind of ask around like "Hey...anybody wanna box it out with me? See which one of us is a bad-ass?"

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu