Deer: Proof of sex

Yup. Read this but does the head of a deer alone justify proof of sex? The reason I ask is I've read that a lot of hunter leave a testicle attached to meat on bucks as proof. Does the same thought process apply w/ Doe's and leaving a sex organ attached?
The defining characteristics for legality per the regs are fork-n-horn for D16 and antlerless for G13. Not necessarily a male/female thing (G13 is not limited to does; I believe you could shoot a button buck if under 3" spikes). Keep the head and consult the regs first before pulling the trigger..

The defining characteristics for legality per the regs are fork-n-horn for D16 and antlerless for G13. Not necessarily a male/female thing (G13 is not limited to does; I believe you could shoot a button buck if under 3" spikes). Keep the head and consult the regs first before pulling the trigger..
Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the G13 regs but my question is specific to a doe. I just can't seem to find any info about leaving proof of sex for a female. My plan is to field dress the animal (if successful) and pack out the meat and the only info I could find, as far as leaving proof of sex attached, was leaving the vulva or udder. I think I will call F&G tomorrow before I go out again just for some clarity.

Thanks again for the response man! All the responses I've received so far to my question are much appreciated on my end. I only hope one day I can repay the favor.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the G13 regs but my question is specific to a doe. I just can't seem to find any info about leaving proof of sex for a female. My plan is to field dress the animal (if successful) and pack out the meat and the only info I could find, as far as leaving proof of sex attached, was leaving the vulva or udder. I think I will call F&G tomorrow before I go out again just for some clarity.
There is no requirement for proving the animal's sex.. what I was trying to say is the only requirement is to prove that your deer fits the legal definition of a D16 or G13 (or M6, A22, etc.) which the head will do the trick. E.g., showing a buck's gonads won't tell you whether that buck was a forked horn buck and, likewise, a doe's udders won't tell you whether that deer was truly an "antlerless" deer per the regs. We don't have "buck" or "doe" tags here like other states do, probably since CA doesn't want to hurt the deer's feelings if it identifies as an antlered doe or something..

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
There is no requirement for proving the animal's sex.. what I was trying to say is the only requirement is to prove that your deer fits the legal definition of a D16 or G13 (or M6, A22, etc.) which the head will do the trick. E.g., showing a buck's gonads won't tell you whether that buck was a forked horn buck and, likewise, a doe's udders won't tell you whether that deer was truly an "antlerless" deer per the regs. We don't have "buck" or "doe" tags here like other states do, probably since CA doesn't want to hurt the deer's feelings if it identifies as an antlered doe or something..
Fantastic! Thanks for clearing this up for me man!
This whole time I thought I had to leave a sex organ attached for proof if I decided to breakdown the animal in the field. This makes sense why I couldn't find anything other than head retention.

Thanks again SurfNHuntSD!

Yup. Read this but does the head of a deer alone justify proof of sex? The reason I ask is I've read that a lot of hunter leave a testicle attached to meat on bucks as proof. Does the same thought process apply w/ Doe's and leaving a sex organ attached?
In California it does, if I remember the regs correctly.

MOST states it does not, and require you to leave sex organs attached to one hind quarter until you process or get the tag validated, if required. So it's a damn good habit to leave the sex organs attached. You WILL get cited in states that require it if a warden stops you.

Funny story, I get my deers checked at the local notary shop by the house. She has no idea what she's supposed to verify or look at. I had to show her in the regs that she's an "authorized person." She hates doing it.

Looks like you already got your answer, but in short, yes the head proves whether your deer was antlered or not (less than 3" spikes for antlerless) but I also posted the regs because a lot of people don't know that you have to keep the head. I know someone that received a citation for not following this...

Looks like you already got your answer, but in short, yes the head proves whether your deer was antlered or not (less than 3" spikes for antlerless) but I also posted the regs because a lot of people don't know that you have to keep the head. I know someone that received a citation for not following this...
Thanks for giving me the heads up and looking out on the head retention. That rule could be easily overlooked.

Reactions: socalhntr
Reading these stories about authorized counter-signers being perplexed is really funny, hopefully I don't have a problem..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu