Deer Ticks on Dogs

Koi00

Jul 23, 2016
Hi everyone,
Last year I got a GSP and he is 10 months old. I have been taking him with me on my dove and quail trips and when I go out walking. I always shower him right after our trips and brush him to get the deer ticks off of him but sometimes I miss one or two. I was wondering if some you can chime in with some ways I can prevent deer ticks on my dog. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

7B30EE7B-3030-4640-921E-91D7EAC2BFB4.jpeg

Simperica, chewables.

Just a warning, we have anaplasmosis and Ehrlichiosis. They are tick born like Lyme. Tia got it and it took months to get it out of her system.

Reactions: TheGDog and Koi00
Simperica, chewables.

Just a warning, we have anaplasmosis and Ehrlichiosis. They are tick born like Lyme. Tia got it and it took months to get it out of her system.
Thank you, will definitely take a looks into that.

Nice dog congratulations.
That is a very tough question.
It depends what is worst.
Flea and tick repellent or the ticks and fleas.
I use to use those tick repellent that you apply on the dogs and is good for a year and worked really well.
But it started making our dogs sick.
I lived in a rual area that had lots of fleas and ticks.
Then switched to stuff from the local nursery, trying to remember the name but it's been few years. Microscopic worms deadly on ticks and fleas, but very safe for humans and pets. Mix in water and spray over the yard. Never had a flea or tick problem again. Every couple years re-apply on the yard. How safe it is direct on pets, you would have to research that.
But Google it and check it out.

Reactions: chessie and Koi00
Nice dog congratulations.
That is a very tough question.
It depends what is worst.
Flea and tick repellent or the ticks and fleas.
I use to use those tick repellent that you apply on the dogs and is good for a year and worked really well.
But it started making our dogs sick.
I lived in a rual area that had lots of fleas and ticks.
Then switched to stuff from the local nursery, trying to remember the name but it's been few years. Microscopic worms deadly on ticks and fleas, but very safe for humans and pets. Mix in water and spray over the yard. Never had a flea or tick problem again. Every couple years re-apply on the yard. How safe it is direct on pets, you would have to research that.
But Google it and check it out.
Thank you, I will look in to it.

Nice looking dog and good you are proactive. I’ve used spine topical stuff (Frontline) and shampoo treatments with great success and only during hunt/training seasons when in the field. Have been leery of overmedicating that might cause other issues so Have tried to back off stuff when possible. Have only had Dog ticks on the dog (when not treated) vs black legged deer ticks. Deer ticks on me until Permethrin. Good luck and be safe.

Reactions: Koi00
The topicals go transdermal and get into your dogs blood stream. Don't hurt your Dog.. but when the parasite drinks his blood, what it does is makes any eggs that parasite lay be non viable. Pills/chewable work that way as well, but also usually address other issues as well.

Reactions: Koi00
Beautiful GSP! I’ve used Bravecto on my lab for several years. Just 1 prescription pill every 3 months, kills fleas and ticks. Never any problems or side effects. It has been very effective. i suggest calling your vet and see what they suggest.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Beautiful GSP! I’ve used Bravecto on my lab for several years. Just 1 prescription pill every 3 months, kills fleas and ticks. Never any problems or side effects. It has been very effective. i suggest calling your vet and see what they suggest.
Howdy waterdog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu