dehydrator or smoker for jerky?

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Anyone have a favorite way to make jerky? I'm planning to make some this year. I have a Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker and I can dry strips out pretty well hot smoking at low temps, but I'm just wondering whether a dehydrator is really worth the additional investment or if I can make jerky with my existing grills, smokers, ovens, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks Drew. Great price too. Do the racks fit in a dishwasher? How even is the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i use all the racks I rotate midway so the bottom racks are on top. As long as you don't overload the racks so the air can circulate it works great. Bought a book "The Dehydrator Bible". It takes a lot of the guesswork out.

Thanks Drew. Here is a great comparison review, and they liked the Nesco. Looks like none of the options has trays that can be washed in a dishwasher. The Nesco has nearly as much tray space with the extra trays (12') as the Excalibur (15'), and gets 4+ ratings at only a quarter the price. Looks like I found my next birthday present. ;)
http://bestreviews.com/best-dehydrators

I use a smoker for alot of things and cant go with out one, It makes great jerky when you nail it. but I usually over cook it a little and its ruined. I am picking up a nesco this week. Every game processor should own both. From my taste comparisons I say dehydrator makes the best jerky.

We use the stove at low heat on racks. I have taken note to try a dehydrator in the future. My wife uses an old family recipe. It doe not last. Gone quick.

Back