Desert Bighorn Sheep Application

Koi00

Jul 23, 2016
Good morning everyone,
I have been looking into applying for the the desert bighorn sheep and have been looking around on the web trying to learn how to apply but have not found to much clarification. I was wondering if anyone could guide me through the process for the application. I would greatly appreciate the help, thanks.

It's done for this year but the process will be the same if you've applied for deer. 2021 tags are drawn in June you apply prior as soon as you buy the new license. I would take a look at draw odds before buying a bunch of stuff for the hunt.

Reactions: Koi00
It's done for this year but the process will be the same if you've applied for deer. 2021 tags are drawn in June you apply prior as soon as you buy the new license. I would take a look at draw odds before buying a bunch of stuff for the hunt.
Thanks for the reply, I know it’s over for this year but I have never entered an application for any hunt in California I have always got my tags over the counter so it’s a new thing to me. When applying do I get placed into the draw right away or do I need to build up points? Sorry if it’s a redundant question I’m just trying to understand the application process and how it works.

If you are teenager and apply every year you might draw it when you are an old man. Your best bet is too make a fortune and buy a tag to hunt in Mexico
I’m in my late 20’s so I don’t know if that would count.

Thanks for the reply, I know it’s over for this year but I have never entered an application for any hunt in California I have always got my tags over the counter so it’s a new thing to me. When applying do I get placed into the draw right away or do I need to build up points? Sorry if it’s a redundant question I’m just trying to understand the application process and how it works.
You will be in the draw right away, check back in April. Realistically your draw odds aren't much worse than someone with max points. If there is only one tag in the unit, the points don't matter. A 2 tag unit you have the same odds as a max point holder for one of the 2.

You will be in the draw right away, check back in April. Realistically your draw odds aren't much worse than someone with max points. If there is only one tag in the unit, the points don't matter. A 2 tag unit you have the same odds as a max point holder for one of the 2.
Thank you again, the unit I plan on applying for only offers one tag. I plan on scouting the area and placing some trail cams in case I ever get drawn I will be ready.

Good morning everyone,
I have been looking into applying for the the desert bighorn sheep and have been looking around on the web trying to learn how to apply but have not found to much clarification. I was wondering if anyone could guide me through the process for the application. I would greatly appreciate the help, thanks.

Good luck I applied every year since the started the bonus points started and finally just gave up you need lots of bonus points or a lot of luck

Good luck I applied every year since the started the bonus points started and finally just gave up you need lots of bonus points or a lot of luck
Thanks, I’m going to start applying this coming year and try my luck.

Reactions: baboltin
I know the Texas deadline is in a couple of weeks, but you're talking about 4500 applicants for 1 tag. Cost is only $10 though so I might just put in

I know the Texas deadline is in a couple of weeks, but you're talking about 4500 applicants for 1 tag. Cost is only $10 though so I might just put in
The unit I plan on applying for has a little over 1,000 applicants and I would like to stay in California since I would be doing the scouting throughout the year myself.

So you were a max point holder and stopped applying? How many years ago did you stop ?

Thanks, I’m going to start applying this coming year and try my luck.
Well I knew someone that drew at 82 years old last year with max points, that’s about how long and how many years it will take to possibly force the draw but with that being said, I went to the orientation with him and there was a guy in his 40s that had 5 points and drew a tag and there was a guy that was in his mid 30s and drew a tag after applying 4 years, matter of fact he drew the sheep unit I have been applying for for over ten years, he also drew a tule bull elk his first year of applying.... stories like that start to make me feel like it’s a rigged system but I like to think I have a chance. Anyway what I’m getting at is it could happen. It’s less then one percent and your more likely to get hit by lighting but could happen.
Good luck next year and how old are you? Maybe if you applied every year and everyone else drops off of applying maybe you will be in the max point pool.

The unit I plan on applying for has a little over 1,000 applicants and I would like to stay in California since I would be doing the scouting throughout the year myself.
You applying for the orocopia mtns?

Well I knew someone that drew at 82 years old last year with max points, that’s about how long and how many years it will take to possibly force the draw but with that being said, I went to the orientation with him and there was a guy in his 40s that had 5 points and drew a tag and there was a guy that was in his mid 30s and drew a tag after applying 4 years, matter of fact he drew the sheep unit I have been applying for for over ten years, he also drew a tule bull elk his first year of applying.... stories like that start to make me feel like it’s a rigged system but I like to think I have a chance. Anyway what I’m getting at is it could happen. It’s less then one percent and your more likely to get hit by lighting but could happen.
Good luck next year and how old are you? Maybe if you applied every year and everyone else drops off of applying maybe you will be in the max point pool.
Thank you, I am 29 and yes I plan on applying for the Orocopia Mountains unit since it’s the closest unit to where I live.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu