Did a little turkey scouting

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
I been down due to some minor surgery and this last Saturday, I decided to just go drive the dirt roads on the MCC property with my two boys. Well it was a fun filled day and my oldest got a chance to fire the 20ga a few times to see how he does patterning the gun for the upcoming youth season. Needles to say the gun thumped a little for him (low recoil rounds) but he managed to hit all 4 of the clay targets that I put out for him at 20 yards. Next weekend, we will try pheasant loads to ease him into it a bit.

During the drive up we didn't see a single bird out but we nearly ran over a flock of 9 long beards as we were leaving. on this day we saw the first sign of the gobbler separation where all the long beards and jakes were separated. A friend of mine also saw a large flock of just hens but down in the lower elevations, it seems like the first sign of the breeding ritual is just starting. Its going to be a interesting season as the dry, high temps are getting the birds in the mood fairly early. I'm just hoping we get some cold wet weather between now and the youth season.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
Glad to see you have a young hunter. Good luck. I hope he gets his first turkey. My son told his mom that Me (his dad) was happier to see him get a turkey then my son was.

Thanks guys! I been a volunteer for a number of different youth hunts over the years and I think I have more fun seeing the big smiles on a kids face after a great hunt then when I drop the hammer on my own hunts. Without getting these kids out, we might as well kiss the hunting tradition goodbye in this state.

I'm just fortunate that I know some really great people who have been great mentors when I first started hunting and great people who have given my kids opportunity at hunting on a great property.

And just a note for you guys who want to get their kids into hunting, I'm always happy to help out.

Thats the way to do it right there, great to see the next generation of hunters out there!

I love seeing the young ones getting involved. I was back in Alabama for the rut this year and got the biggest buck of my life, but it wasn't as good as being with my 10 year old nephew when he got his first one. Keep passing it on brothers.

My oldest kid had his first turkey encounter when he was 2 years old. We had couple of jakes in front of our blind and soon as they gobbled, it scared him so much he started crying and busted the jakes. Now that he's 6 yeas old, he is hooked on hunting. He has gone out to hunt ducks, deer, pigs, and turkeys. It's so much more fun going out with my boys now.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu