Dixon Lake Trout Derby????

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Thinking of taking the boys. It says its 3 days long. Anyone have any experience with it, any info? Seems short on details. Just wondering if you can just fish any time over the 3 days, and enter whatever you catch, and then they divide the prizes at the end? Thanks.......

Reactions: Goyaałé
I have not participated but fish there often and it is a very popular event. So get there early to get a boat. I went last Saturday and the my daughter wanted to sleep in. Got there at about 700am and the boats were all checked out. They open at sunrise and its 5 dollars to get in. No pets or alcohol. They should be open from sunrise to sundown. I don't know how the prizes work but they do run a board for the biggest catch as the days progress. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Fished this before. It is three days long best fish and lots of prises

at the end of the three days. great event, better

get there early if you want a spot or boat. When I say early

I mean early. Lots of people. lots of fish to. I think 4500 LBS

Fished this before. It is three days long best fish and lots of prises

at the end of the three days. great event, better

get there early if you want a spot or boat. When I say early

I mean early. Lots of people. lots of fish to. I think 4500 LBS

Site says 6,000 this year..... ;). Cant go till Sunday, but will probably just check it out and let the kids wet a line......

Taking your kids fishing is a great idea but the Dixon Lake trout derby on a weekend is the last place I'd do it. There are only a handful of spots on the entire lake that produce and will be elbow to elbow. The clueless, the trout grommets that are dialed in and a few thugs all crammed together crossing lines and dropping f bombs. Another lake or after the derby would be more enjoyable IMO. Also, check out the Poway Lake kids only derby that that have each year. No adults are allowed to fish and they stocked a bunch of trout.

Yeah, I hear ya on that. I usually fish Wohlfod, which we enjoy. Dixon is right down the street though, and would like to try the derby. I don't mind trying other parts of the lake, just for fun, even if less than ideal results.

Taking your kids fishing is a great idea but the Dixon Lake trout derby on a weekend is the last place I'd do it. There are only a handful of spots on the entire lake that produce and will be elbow to elbow. The clueless, the trout grommets that are dialed in and a few thugs all crammed together crossing lines and dropping f bombs. Another lake or after the derby would be more enjoyable IMO. Also, check out the Poway Lake kids only derby that that have each year. No adults are allowed to fish and they stocked a bunch of trout.

Listen to this guy........;).......You might want to show up a little later in the day too....Then you can see where everyone is and some folks may have left by the afternoon.

Listen to this guy........;).......You might want to show up a little later in the day too....Then you can see where everyone is and some folks may have left by the afternoon.
That's my plan. Gonna go after church, around lunch....

Lake Wohlford for catfish in the boat dock cove would be a good bet. Mackerel, shrimp, liver, nc etc.

It was an absolute zoo last Friday. Me and the kids got there to wait in line at 0500 and we were about 20 cars behind. Needless to say we couldn't get a boat but we got in on a little cove and caught 5 nice trout. Didn't win anything but our biggest was a 6lb trout. I hooked into a even larger trout that probably pushed double digits but it broke me off. The hot ticket was a white trout worm on a jig head on 2lb test line.

.IMG_5886.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Matagi!!! We ended up going for about 4 hours Sunday, still a decent amount of people. I couldn't get a darn thing to bite. Always the story there, cant catch a trout...... LOL. Wohlford, sure, but not Dixon.......

I went up yesterday. It was a slow start but managed three trout I. The stringer and lost three other trout. Biggest went about 5lbs. All caught on white trout worm with a 1/32 jig head on 2ln test and pink with white tail Berkeley mice tails.

.IMG_6026.JPG

Did another quick late afternoon session at Dixon. Great quality fish that fight pretty hard on 2lb test and ultralight gear. A little 1/32 jig head with a white trout worm did the trick today. Lost two other fish so it was great. The little one caught the biggest of them all.

.IMG_6076.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu