Do I Need A 4x4

Srfnkill said:
For me, if I'm the only truck, I go as far as 2wd will take me. I use 4wd to get me home.

I told my wife before I got married... My trucks will always have 4x4.
That's a great rule for off-roading: don't go alone.
BTW, I like your idea of a pre-nuptial agreement!
8)

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Srfnkill said:
For me, if I'm the only truck, I go as far as 2wd will take me. I use 4wd to get me home.

I told my wife before I got married... My trucks will always have 4x4.
That's a great rule for off-roading: don't go alone.

8)

Sent via Tapatalk

Lol that means I wouldn't go

Yeah, me neither now that you mention it. I said it's a great rule, not that I follow it. Haha

Sent via Tapatalk

Old jeeps? Sweet!

Our family's old Jeep. My uncles and grandpa rebuilt it when uncles were in HS, mom learned to drive in it, as did I. It's a cool family heirloom, but it sure doesn't hold a candle to newer Jeeps for comfort and offroad prowess.

Before recent repaint.

GrandpasJeep001.jpg

After in the desert

GrandpaJeep_zpsa209e321.jpg

Earning her keep maneuvering a trailer into a tight space.

A22CB06D-9C0B-466A-85DE-8A225C557CC3_zpslar5bhb2.jpg

here is an old pic of my wife and I, in my old 67 Jeepster Commando. V6 . This baby could go anywhere. hahahaha that was my crazy days.year approx 1978 Samagatuma ranch. Guatay east county. This was before the word SUV was invented. hahahaha. love that Jeep, I wish I never sold it.

Attachments

• cindychando.jpg
    cindychando.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 105
Those commandos were great. I think the v6 was a Buick, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent via Tapatalk

yep V6 dauntless spelling ? had a 400 turbo hydramatic automatic trans. never had any problems with each. what a blast that Jeep was hahahaha . it was my first offroad 4x4. Several times I was in the sierra madres in northern mexico, the gila national forest new mexico, all over east county before the roads where been gated. up in northern california. Desert dunes, & trails, local mountains, one of my fondest memories.

I had a '71 ex Border Patrol CJ-6 (that's not a typo, civvy version of an M-170 stretcher carrier) for a while with a Buick V6, great engine. Torque and horsepower.

Great pics guys.................Here's even an older Jeepster...............This was up on Scodie Mt (Kern Co.).

Attachments

• scan001.jpg
    scan001.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 49
ilovesprig said:
Great pics guys.................Here's even an older Jeepster...............This was up on Scodie Mt (Kern Co.).
Wow Steve. I guess that was before the invention of winches and tow straps?
Lol

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
ilovesprig said:
Wow Steve. I guess that was before the invention of winches and tow straps?
Lol

Sent via Tapatalk

Don.......I don't recall winches early on, but I know by the 60's they had them (looks like there's one on the red Jeep)......No tow straps for sure, all chains. Probably would've just pulled another jeep down that slippery slope....... ;)

Attachments

• scan020.jpg
    scan020.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 106
  • scan082.jpg
    scan082.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 51
here is my 46 CJ 2a. this was a while ago when i used to crash the brush, you can see the metal mesh on the hood to keep the willows and salt cedar from breaking the window. custom roof rack was for my old 12' john boat.
jeepbill_zpsfafc5450.jpg

Like many have stated, 4x4's can get you in trouble too.......This knucklehead was driving a 4x4 dually and pulling a trailer......Didn't do him much good........ :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3956.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3955.JPG
    IMG_3955.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 46
That's not dialysis that's a step side. 4x4 is only as good as your brain like all things.

Since everyone is posting Jeep pics, here is my 1966 Jeep Wagoneer project, with a 327 v8 Vigilante.. that thing is a beast, just need to get her dialed in and she will go hunting pretty soon.. and also my go to jeep 84 cj7..

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 1984%20cj7.jpg
    1984%20cj7.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 44

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu