Do we really need the latest and greatest gear?

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
I'm getting sick of people talking crap about people not having the best hunting fishing dive gear and boats on social media. Me and my dad don't have the best guns just cheap rifles and shotguns, we have 30 year old rod and reels, home made spear guns and used to fish from cheap aluminum boats but we still kill animals and catch a lot of fish. If it looks stupid but I works it's not stupid IMO. What do y'all think about old gear and not having the latest and greatest?

I wouldn't get worked up about it. Take the info you like and keep it. The info you don't....purge it from your memory.

I am going to say both yes and no.

I am a huge fan of DIY. If I had a religion, it would be DIY. If I can make or repurpose something cheap, into something functional, I'm extremely pleased and proud. For example, my plier-sheath for off-shore is made of cardboard and duct tape.

However, sometimes there is no substitute for the right tool for the job. In college I worked at an off-road retrofit shop. I once spent hours trying to remove some widget with the wrong tools. My boss walked up with the right tool and loosened it in 2 secs.

So for me there is a balance between identifying when I really need high quality gear, and when I can get by with something cheap.

Let me throw in one last complication. I find that buying gear is often a substitute for actually getting out there. When I'm too busy to get out, I start fantasizing about upgrading my gear and what I could do with it in the field. When in fact, all my gear is functional, adequate, and for that matter, only lightly used.

yes and no...for offshore fishing I have found that then new fluorocarbon lines works great and will never use any else ,especially when fish are line shy, with that said just last week caught yellowfin,bluefin and yellowtail with my 15yr old penn 500 and penn squider...lol

I agree don't get too worked up about it. You guys are pretty successful. Be proud of that.

I have some really nice gear and I have lots and lots of old gear that I use. I update when I can. Yes the new stuff will out perform the old stuff but by no means is it a necessity to have all brand new top of the line products.

msteiger said:
I am going to say both yes and no.

I am a huge fan of DIY. If I had a religion, it would be DIY. If I can make or repurpose something cheap, into something functional, I'm extremely pleased and proud. For example, my plier-sheath for off-shore is made of cardboard and duct tape.

However, sometimes there is no substitute for the right tool for the job. In college I worked at an off-road retrofit shop. I once spent hours trying to remove some widget with the wrong tools. My boss walked up with the right tool and loosened it in 2 secs.

So for me there is a balance between identifying when I really need high quality gear, and when I can get by with something cheap.

Let me throw in one last complication. I find that buying gear is often a substitute for actually getting out there. When I'm too busy to get out, I start fantasizing about upgrading my gear and what I could do with it in the field. When in fact, all my gear is functional, adequate, and for that matter, only lightly used.
Ditto on all counts. I have an old Eagle Creek traveling backpack that is very tough and has a good hip belt (beaver tail construction). I sewed 4-ways on its top, bottom and sides so I can attach bedroll, tripod, stool or Crazy Creek seat, and other gear to its outside. It works as an overnight camping pack for just about everything but turkey, which is only a problem because it is blue, and wearing red, white or blue around public land in turkey season is not too bright. Oh, and it isn't waterproof which usually is not a problem here (unfortunately). Anyway that pack has served me well, and allowed me plenty of time to decide what I wanted for an upgrade when the time came. I still use it, in fact I'll use it.

I usually buy the best gear that I can afford because I believe that you get what you pay for. However the most expensive gear that is the latest and greatest is no substitute for experience and time spent in the field developing the skills necessary to consistently harvest fish and game.

Oh, speaking of that, I have lots of hand-me-downs from Breacher and Matagi, who helped me get started out here.
Thanks guys! ;D
That used gear works great for me; it's not the gear but the skills that matter most, at least at my level.

New gear becomes old gear......I think half the fun is upgrading as new and better things come out......That's pretty much what keeps the industry going.

I truly believe though we're getting to the point in how much better can things get?......GHG Goose decoys? GHG duck decoys? Mojo's? Benelli SBE? Winchester Mod 70? Kent Faststeel? Swaro's, Realtree camo, Mossy Oak camo?. I think you get the point......Most these things have been out for 20 years or more.

And I wouldn't let it bother me one bit......If fact, be damn proud that you can produce......Dead is dead

ps......I can tell you though, saving some money and going to Bass Pro Shop for the latest & greatest is great fun......lol

pss.....Fishing is a whole different thing......You can still catch freshwater fish with much of the older reels and rods......Big game ocean fishing is a whole new ball game nowadays though IMO.

Let me rephrase that i want the best gear but you should be able to make due without the best and not judge others based on their gear

I always say: "whatever it takes". The greatest and newest gear is wonderful but work with what you have and can afford. Success comes to those that work hard and get out in the field often. It isn't a glamor contest that is for sure.

NBK said:
I always say: "whatever it takes". The greatest and newest gear is wonderful but work with what you have and can afford. Success comes to those that work hard and get out in the field often. It isn't a glamor contest that is for sure.
That is exactly what I am trying to say

All what's say is all good info, All are true hunters & sportsman. it's all good.

You all know my thoughts I am a family man. I work hard. and do the best I can. I say if you have to be happy with what you have. and not what other have. there will always be better stuff. but what do you really need vs the really boss stuff.

To me Hunting is my hobby. I have budget and I stick with my budget. as long as it can do job... ;D

Yep... and Ray's budget just bestowed him a Ruger American in .22 LR. ;D

Hey, some of the best entertainment is the guys with all the $$$$ gear that don't put out the effort and therefore still can't get it done.

It is a joy and pleasure to use the latest and the greatest but the thing that really gives me the biggest smile is when my oldest and crappiest gear gets the job done.

D16hunter said:
Let me rephrase that i want the best gear but you should be able to make due without the best and not judge others based on their gear

X2... the one's normally talking crap about your "experienced gear" are usually the one's with less birds/fish to clean at the end of the day.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu