Do you have a Gps watch?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
Among many of the things I missed out on by not having grown close to anyone that hunted is not learning how to navigate in the woods. Sadly, if it wasn't for my phone I would probably get lost in the woods and I know many people are in the same boat. Really who carries a paper map nowadays?

I depend on technology to get back home and that worries me. Lately, Now, II carry at least a simple compass to know which direction I came from.

Should something happen to my phone and is getting dark I could find myself having to find a spot to spend the night waiting for daylight.

This year, life got in the way and I missed the drawing, so I purchased a leftover tag for an area I don't know much about.

I was thinking on buying a shock and weatherproof watch that at least could save my butt. Nothing fancy, simple to use and easy to read.

Do you have any experience with a GPS watch? I might never need it but I like the idea of having one regardless.

A topo and a compass can save you butt. You can pin point your location based off the terrain. Mountain tops work great, no two are exactly alike. I use topos in new areas and unlike most things for hunting, they are free.

Reactions: sportyg
I have a Garmin Fenix but I wouldn’t use it as a stand alone for navigation. It is a great tool but I mostly use it for the mileage/tracking/heart rate data. It does come fully loaded with topo maps (can’t remember if it’s US only or global). It does have a function that will lead you back on the path you took to your starting destination, could be handy in unfamiliar terrain in the dark, never used it though. I have used it to confirm that I’m in the location I think I am. But the screen is too small to use for general map use. OnX or a real GPS is a better option for a dedicated navigation tool. I also strongly recommend you learn to read a topo if you haven’t. I almost prefer a paper map in a lot of situations because you don’t have to pan and zoom like you do on your phone.

never go to far from the road...problem solved....and as a bonus....you will be more successful..

So, I was a Marine infantryman and learned to navigate with a compass and paper maps. I still practice that skill every so often just to remember it. But I haven't actually used that skill in years. I use OnX on my phone and always download the maps for the area I'll be in. I also always carry one of those battery power packs that can charge my phone 3 times.

That said, I just got a Garmin Instinct. Cheap for a GPS watch and I really like it. A charge lasts a solid week, even with phone notifications on and it re-charges in an hour. When I go out, I turn on the tracking function and it has a "track back" or "return track" function which basically guides you out the way you came in. It's also waterproof and impact resistant. I give it 9/10 since I wish the screen was color. But that's me nitpicking.

Well you asked who uses a paper map and the several replies you've gotten so far indicate it's a skill worth learning. I print mine free from caltopo.com, it's simple to use once you get the hang of it. But if I had to get a watch, it'd be the Garmin Instinct since it can sync with the inReach Mini.

Reactions: monyako
Thanks for the feedback.
never go to far from the road...problem solved....and as a bonus....you will be more successful..
My mind can't compute that. But I will think about it, perhaps I will have an Aha! moment.

Garmin Instinct here. As others have said, it is an extra tool. I use it for tracking my steps and monitor heart rate etc. I also use it to check for altitude, temperature, atmospheric pressure. The watch has worked perfectly for me and I am rough on my equipment.
Now all that being said, a good compass, and a paper map cannot be replaced with a watch. If navigation is your concern, I would go with a standard gps. Garmin has many options.
I understand what loosing your bearings feels like. Always keep reference of the highest points in relation to your position. But you for sure know that already.

Reactions: YETI
Garmin Instinct here. As others have said, it is an extra tool. I use it for tracking my steps and monitor heart rate etc. I also use it to check for altitude, temperature, atmospheric pressure. The watch has worked perfectly for me and I am rough on my equipment.
Now all that being said, a good compass, and a paper map cannot be replaced with a watch. If navigation is your concern, I would go with a standard gps. Garmin has many options.
I understand what loosing your bearings feels like. Always keep reference of the highest points in relation to your position. But you for sure know that already.
How do you check altitude, temperature, atmospheric pressure? I just scrolled through my menus and didn't see that.

How do you check altitude, temperature, atmospheric pressure? I just scrolled through my menus and didn't see that.
I know that it is kind of difficult to find and for sure there are other features I still don't use because of that.
You have to set the options while doing the setup. On my watch I keep the ctrl button pressed until the wheel with options shows up, then scroll until you see the Altimeter option and click the ABC button.
Same way to get to the barometer. I have set my thermometer on my main dial.
One thing though. There are two temperatures readings. One is the reported temperature by the closest weather station, you can also find the built-in thermometer reading but that will be affected by your body temperature, so if I want a precise reading I remove the watch and hang it or leave it on a surface, give it a few minutes to get an accurate reading.

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_120044.jpg
    IMG_20200827_120044.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200827_120029.jpg
    IMG_20200827_120029.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200827_120021.jpg
    IMG_20200827_120021.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200827_120016.jpg
    IMG_20200827_120016.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200827_120004.jpg
    IMG_20200827_120004.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: YETI
Among many of the things I missed out on by not having grown close to anyone that hunted is not learning how to navigate in the woods. Sadly, if it wasn't for my phone I would probably get lost in the woods and I know many people are in the same boat. Really who carries a paper map nowadays?

I depend on technology to get back home and that worries me. Lately, Now, II carry at least a simple compass to know which direction I came from.

Should something happen to my phone and is getting dark I could find myself having to find a spot to spend the night waiting for daylight.

This year, life got in the way and I missed the drawing, so I purchased a leftover tag for an area I don't know much about.

I was thinking on buying a shock and weatherproof watch that at least could save my butt. Nothing fancy, simple to use and easy to read.

Do you have any experience with a GPS watch? I might never need it but I like the idea of having one regardless.

Put it this way,

Garmin in reach explore + is way better then a watch.

I personally know which way the sun rises and sets and probly will never be in such deep dark timber in the middle of no where that required me to be flown in by bush plane unless I’m with a guide or friends of comparable or better skills Then mine

that being said it is a good idea to have reference of an area of where your going, I can personally tell you that all that back country hunts Iv been on I alway remember the direction I went In at and know that no matter what as long as I went back the way I came in, I would eventually hit a main Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: YETI and Dawnandusk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu