Do you see them?

Drew, I believe from what I have seen that they are overrated as far as a difficult animal to pursue. A good friend of mine drew an AZ tag after 17 years of putting in in 2010. Don't get me wrong you have to work for them physically as far as climbing and glassing goes but they are not nearly as intelligent in my opinion as let's say a trophy deer or elk. I got to go along and help the guide team he hired with glassing/locating and learned a lot about how to judge them as far as trophy quality goes but in the end I came to believe that the reason there are not many of them is because they just are not that smart when it comes to shooting at the from ranges that they think they are safe. Years ago I met a landowner out in the Blythe area (his name was L.C. Bishop) (He's dead now) and his family had been there since the gold rush days and had there land taken from them by the fed's to build up the Colorado river, His father actually knew Wyatt Earp who was the sheriff in that area after leaving Tombstone. He told me they used to call them dirt salmon because you could go out and shoot one whenever you needed meat, His family also shot the young burro's out there left by the miners as well and told me that they were good eating also. My friend was able to shoot a record book sheep after five days of glassing and I would recommend to anyone who draws a tag to hire an experienced guide because unless you know what to look for when judging it is easy to take a less than trophy class animal. Cool animal to say the least but I'm not sure I can get excited about an animal you can only hunt once in your life.

ilovesprig did some one draw a sheep tag? Are the pictures from a scouting trip ?

Fred, Sheep are one of hunters biggest conservation success stories. They were almost killed off by people like you mention in your post and disease from livestock. I am not knocking them I would have probably done the same thing back then.

Now because of hunters we have the more opportunity to hunt them than we have had in generations. I want to hunt them because I have the opportunity to. Plus anything involving big country and big class is right up my alley.

Reactions: Kellendv
Was in McCain Valley quail hunting once and I caught a weird feeling like something was watching me... stopped and glassed the hillsides, and as anyone that's been out there knows, the hills to the east near the gorge are all dry, steep, and boulder-filled.. sure enough, a herd of sheep are cruising, with one big ram, full curl, heading the group. It's amazing how they blend in with the boulders, same color.

Drew, Yes they are a success story as far as conservation goes and am not discouraging anyone from putting in for a tag as the funds benefit the species. I had a great time in camp helping hunt them but realized that maybe it was something I might not need on my my bucket list. I would in a heart beat help again if a friend drew a tag.

Drew, Yes they are a success story as far as conservation goes and am not discouraging anyone from putting in for a tag as the funds benefit the species. I had a great time in camp helping hunt them but realized that maybe it was something I might not need on my my bucket list. I would in a heart beat help again if a friend drew a tag.
You will get my call when I draw. I will need as much glass as I can.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Those things live in the most God-Forsaken places sometimes. Them... and Burros.

D11. 20180422_155929.jpg20180422_153340.jpgThey are mighty cool animals. Even at that distance and hiding under the overhang, they spotted me right away. They were waiting for me to move on to come down to the water.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu