Doesn't get any better.....LOL

awesome ducks!! I would love a pin for the wall... Hey guys I have an spot but it's a canal , a big canal that ducks hangout.. if I take a duck down I've heard of using a fishing pole/lure to retrieve. My question is.. How do ya rig the pole so that it won't damage plumage on retrieval?

awesome ducks!! I would love a pin for the wall... Hey guys I have an spot but it's a canal , a big canal that ducks hangout.. if I take a duck down I've heard of using a fishing pole/lure to retrieve. My question is.. How do ya rig the pole so that it won't damage plumage on retrieval?
Use a pool net instead

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Richard,

You can make your own plug with hooks, but a big topwater bait with trebles woods great.....Hooks won't do any more damage than the shot itself.

And I'm sure Brett can do miracles with ducks.

Awesome, Steve.

I love that limit. I havent even seen a spoonie this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve, Barry,

Sorry for jacking this thread, but I was wondering what kind of care do taxidermists want done with birds for mount? I had a mountain quail and nice spoonie last year I should've gotten done but I didn't take good care of them after the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jason,

Barry can probably answer this better than me, but I do have a few birds mounted....;)

I clean all blood from bird, especially if there's white feathers( and a little paper in the bill)…..I use a large zip lock and wrap them with clean paper towels with head under wing....A duck like pintail or mt. quail with a straight sprig....I put in a nylon and lay as straight as possible.....Then to the freezer....Once the skin gets in the 2 year range, and it starts to dry out. It probably isn't pliable enough to skin.....Again, Barry knows this stuff way better than me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu