Dog foot booties

FlyByWigeon

Dec 5, 2019
After two vet visits this season from a puncturedand infected pad/paw on my labs, I am looking to get some dog booties. Does anyone use any for their dogs for waterfowl hunting in the IV mud? I'm thinking it will be hard to get the booties to stay on but I am tired of 300$ vet visits. Probably just unlucky but figured I would ask to see if anyone has tried to use booties or had good experiences.
Thanks,
Drew

Don't get anything but the Lewis vented dog boots. We have our dogs on the ground every week and hunt in cactus infested areas with no issues. They are also comfortable for the dogs and easy to put on.

I have tried every kind of boot out there and, I find the best way to keep them on is, first start with a wrap of 2" wide self adhering tape, Powerflex Med. you can find it in any store in the bandaid section, it won't stick to hair. Make sure it goes up the leg above the top of the boot. Then put on boot and use a good tape, I use duct tape to secure boot, onto both boot and tape. Don't run duct tape above self adhering tape or you will be pulling off hair. It can be a pain , but it works great.

Reactions: WaterDog
Scott Linden advertises Happy Jack Pad Kote on his podcast. I don’t know if it works or not, because I don’t have a dog.

Old Wister foot...Tried boots on my dog Trigger...Until this season, he's had foot issues (cuts or punctures) almost every year…He hated the boots and they just wouldn't stay on at Wister.

ps...You can treat most these cuts and punctures yourself...Clean foot with warm water, put hydrogen peroxide on wound, then give him anti-biotics (I keep them on hand)...After about 5-7 days he's ready to go.

Don't get anything but the Lewis vented dog boots. We have our dogs on the ground every week and hunt in cactus infested areas with no issues. They are also comfortable for the dogs and easy to put on Ha

Old Wister foot...Tried boots on my dog Trigger...Until this season, he's had foot issues (cuts or punctures) almost every year…He hated the boots and they just wouldn't stay on at Wister.

ps...You can treat most these cuts and punctures yourself...Clean foot with warm water, put hydrogen peroxide on wound, then give him anti-biotics (I keep them on hand)...After about 5-7 days he's ready to go.
Does your vet give you antibiotics prescription or where do you get yours from? I tried to just get antibiotics without a visit but they refused.

Thanks for the info

I have tried every kind of boot out there and, I find the best way to keep them on is, first start with a wrap of 2" wide self adhering tape, Powerflex Med. you can find it in any store in the bandaid section, it won't stick to hair. Make sure it goes up the leg above the top of the boot. Then put on boot and use a good tape, I use duct tape to secure boot, onto both boot and tape. Don't run duct tape above self adhering tape or you will be pulling off hair. It can be a pain , but it works great.
^ this is the way to keep the boots on. When I’ve hunted dry disked rice fields the dirt clods and stubble have tore up my dogs feet. I used various booties and kept them on as per above. My dogs always hated them and you could tell they felt awkward in them. If I hunted long enough they’d come off though. Be sure to have your dog wear them several times before you hunt . It takes awhile for them to get use to them. It’s pretty comical watching their antics when they first have them on. I never hunted in mud with the booties on. No matter what I think it’s going to be difficult keeping the boots on in mud. Let us know how it works out.

Does your vet give you antibiotics prescription or where do you get yours from? I tried to just get antibiotics without a visit but they refused.

Thanks for the info
Give me a call , I can discuss antibotics and where to get them for your pup

Peter
909-730-9294

Reactions: ilovesprig
Just saw a picture from a guy i know. His lab got a splinter in its paw and he posted a before and after picture. Maybe 1/8” of it was visible through the pad in the before pic, after pic was the twig that spanned all 4 fingers in length. No bueno.

Boots in the mud are a difficult deal for the dogs. We use cloth grade athletic tape and it secures the boots very well. You can see it on Diesel in the picture. I have never had a boot come loose or come off during an extended hunt.

On another note, clean the dogs feet with a tablespoon of bleach with 2 cups of warm water to cleanse wounds etc. This is normal practice used by veterinarian's.20201217_184841.jpg
20201217_214415.jpg

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Don't get anything but the Lewis vented dog boots. We have our dogs on the ground every week and hunt in cactus infested areas with no issues. They are also comfortable for the dogs and easy to put on.
Lewis boots.....beat me to it!

Reactions: NBK
I self treat as well. Cherry foot is no joke. Clean their feet after each hunt and if anything gets infected treat with antibiotics.

My fish also get sick and did you know you can buy fish antibiotics over the counter. They especially like fish flex.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu