Dog has bad pain when mouth Opens Wide

John_Gilmore

Feb 26, 2013
Hey all, so my GSP is having bad pain when opening his mouth wide. He eats and acts fine, took him to the vet, vet said he has no clue. They couldn't determine anything from x-rays or inspection.

He is clearly in a lot of pain from opening his mouth beyond a certain point though as he cries loudly and whimpers for a while after.

Have any of you on here experienced similar symptoms from your dogs? If so what was the cause? I don't want to take him to the vet again and drop $500 to come up empty handed with a cause.

Thanks for all your help.

That sounds terrible for your dog. I wouldn't go back to the vet,I would go to an emergency animal hospital. There is a good one in la mesa. by toys r us. My dog was having stomach issues so we took her to the vet and did x-rays and he said she had a major obstruction and needed immediate surgery. So I took her there and they did MRI and said no obstruction gave her pills and said she would be fine in 3 days. they stopped my dog from an unnecessary surgery and saved me $$. It still cost a lot but they figured it out and solved the problem. I am willing to shell out the $$ for a solution to the problem. Good luck, I hope its not to serious.

Another great vet clinic is Dr.Judy in El Cajon. He is honest and fair. Is your dog an aggressive chewer? Maybe the jaw muscles are just sore from chew toys?

I'll look into a new vet for sure. Preferably someone who understands the purpose and lifestyle of a "working dog." I appreciate your input guys.

That sucks!
A good vet is worth their weight in gold! I've got a great one that cares is cheap and knows his shit plus he's a hunter. Birdrock animal clinic. Zoe had got some dirt in her eye after a pig hunt and was scratching her eye and it turned cloudy. I was freaking out a one eye dog is not good so I called one of the two eye vets and they never got back to me next day saw my regular vet and was out the door for 95 with one due test and the antibiotic. The eye vet was going to be 250+ for the same shit.

I think you have to go back to the vet but before observe the dog when it happens again and get your hands on the dogs head and neck right away and feel all over to see where she dislikes when you touch her you may be able to do it right after she cries. You have to locate the pain then go from there. I think it could be a lower jaw neck issue. Go back and remember when it first started and back track a few days to see if she got into something.

Been with this doctor for over 30 years and every time I visit him, I am amazed at how much he cares and how much he knows. Wouldn't go to anyone else!

Sevier R Michael DVM

4055 Bonita Rd
Bonita, CA 91902

(619) 479-3311

He started playing with toys again and has only made one little whine from pain in the last 3 days and none today... He's acting totally normal and I don't get paid til Friday. So he seems to be doing better all on his own, and I probably sound like a horrible dog owner. But if he's getting better without the vet, I'm hesitant to take him in right now.

Long story short, he's doing better for sure, just still doesn't seem to be quite 100% when he opens his mouth all the way to yawn or pick up big stuff.

Just wanted to post an update.... they are still not entirely sure what it was, some disease similar to arthritis is the best guess. However, put him on steroids... fixed the pain within the week of starting them! Now we're at the point of lowering his dosage and frequency of pills to see if its good to go for the long term. Awesome news though!

Thanks all for your posts earlier!

That is fantastic John! Good to hear. Keeping our fingers crossed for long term health. :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu