dogs in the back of pickups

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey guys I have a question to all the dog owners especially the ones that hunt the IV. I have always had SUVs so my dog/dogs have always been inside the truck In his kennel with the rear AC blasting. Thursday i pick up my new to me F250 crew cab pick up. I know all the other reasons to have a shell to store things more secure ect....

But... do i need a shell for hunting in the heat? He will be in a secured kennel but should i make it a priority to get a shell as well or is the back of the truck in the secured kennel cool enough.

it may be a dumb question but like i said all my dogs have always been in the SUV.

thanks

High heat conditions with high energy dogs always calls for caution. When hunting in high heat make sure to keep your dog shaded and hydrated as much as possible. Dogs have no sweat glands so they can't cool themselves the way we do by perspiration. The signs of heat are restlessness accompanied with pacing as well as seeking shade. If you see these behaviors in your dog don't hesitate to get your them in your vehicle with the ac on, If you can apply ice packs to the belly between the front and hind legs do so, If you feel uncertain about their condition transport them as quickly as possible to the nearest vet for evaluation.

Dogs do live in the IV and most are outside.......1st dove is real hot but if you get them use to it they will be fine and there's a canal with cool water almost everywhere. I always have shade, water & a tote that mine can lay in with cool water. By the time quail opens its not bad out there at all.

Just watch the number of retrieves back to back.........a few years back at NAVHDA event one GSP was on the retrieve and started zig zagging and just not looking right. She ran to the shade and was panting really hard so we grab her and got her into a cool water bath and feed her Gatorade.....she was fine in about 15 minutes and still a great GSP today. It's all about reading your dog and acting quickly.

I wouldn't do a shell.....not enough air flow & the dust out there will cover the entire inside of the shell with this nice fine dirt that cakes up when dry. My kennel has no ventilation with a panel on the door to help block the dust.

I've done it both ways......Open bed in a secured kennel and currently secured kennel with camper shell.......Like both, but I had to make a choice, it would be the shell.....Security, shade, and I think they get less dust and rain when we get it.......2 cents

Thanks nbk and sprig

I'm leaning towards the shell and building lockable drawers in the bed for shottys then the kennel on top of the new higher floor with fans and maybe an evap cooler for the kennel?

Any one used an evap cooler? Not the cheap ice filled thing but a real 12v swamp cooler? They run about 300 do it's not something I want to get if it doesn't work.

My current gsp hates the heat as it is. He retrieves dove like made and loves quail and pheasent in the IV but hates heat.

I can keep in cool and keep him hunting early and late no problem with semis and ice baths and plenty of water. I always carry atleast 15 gals for the dog for cooling and baths

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu